• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key Ignition Takes Several Tries To Start

RrCoX22

NAXJA Forum User
Is this a clock-spring or key ignition issue? It's not starter related I believe as once it does ignite there's no starter making numerous attempts to start, it fires right up. When placing the key into the ignition it may work 2 out 5 times when attempting to turn over. Also I had someone behind me driving home and says my rear turn signals blink crazy at times after the turn signal is disengaged. The turn signal lever in general does seem a little finicky too as in stiff and not smooth.

It is likely the symptoms are unrelated. If the key cylinder does not seem to be excessively loose or worn, replace the ignition switch. Failure of the turn signal switch assembly is somewhat common.

I'd almost ask what year XJ? I went through on a few XJs, that they would turn over but not start. One was a '98 and recently an '00. The '98 was the coil. Its been a few years, so I do not know what I did or replaced to get to that point.
On the '00, I bought it and it would not turn over. New battery and I made up some HD battery cables. Then it turned over. I did get a code on the TPS. I replaced it with and after market. No luck. Then a MOPAR, no luck. I replaced CPS, CPK etc. Again , no luck. I sprayed starting fluid, no luck. I tried to diagnose this with an Ohm and Volt meter. Sometimes there was voltage, other times not. I bought a set of Noid lights. I would crank and no light. Then when I turned the key off, there was a flash of light. A friend at work though it might be the ignition relay. It didn't start. Then I put in some starting fluid, it back fired. Loud. Then I cranked it a bit, and it started. I tired it again, then with starting fluid, same thing. Next day it started fine. I did put in rebuilt injectors before. I don't know if they need to cycle a bit or not. The starter relay or ignition switch I am talking about goes on the steering column on the left side. There is also a transfer part from the cylinder to it. I bought mine from NAPA. It was a lot more expensive from another place. Also, check battery voltage.

Can you clarify, when you turn the key nothing happens, or the starter runs but the engine doesn't catch? If it's nothing happening, try starting in neutral or jiggling the shifter. If that works then suspect the neutral safety (NSS) needs refurbished or replaced. The other symptom of a bad NSS is no reverse lights.

The description is a little sketchy. But here's a possibility. The in-tank check valve may have failed and the gas is draining back into the tank after shut-down. Fix? Install an inexpensive check valve in-line after the fuel filter. On shut-down the fuel will stay in the fuel line and not drain back into the tank. This is a lot easier fix than pulling the fuel pump for a bad check valve.

Best regards,

CJR

I have a no crank condition in my 89 XJ. Funny thing is I started it this morning to let it warm up and it started fine. I went out this afternoon to go do some errands and I turn the key and I get nothing. I may shoot some brake cleaner into the ignition cylinder to see if the contacts are the culprit. I'll go check the NSS in the morning. Hope this is it. I was

Another thing to try. Get a jumper cable and connect one end to the battery's ground terminal and connect the other end to the starter housing bolts. See if it starts. If it starts, you have a grounding issue. I had this problem on my 00XJ. I then ran a #2 welding cable directly from the battery ground terminal to a bolt on the starter motor. I've been running that now for years.

Best regards,

CJR

Back