• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer Gear Install

SrDesigner

NAXJA Forum User
So I get this new gear, after waiting for a couple weeks, and I'm trying to install it. The old one comes out easy enough, but I can't even force the new one into the sensor body.

It doesn't "snap" like the old one does. I don't see any "visual" differences between the old and new shafts, but I'm afraid to exert any more force than I can with my fingers...for fear that I'll create a larger problem.

I've snapped the old one in and out just to make sure I wasn't a complete idiot...and no problems with that. But this new one just flat won't go.

Any help would be appreciated,

Sr

try lubing it up maybe? or hold the body with one hand and hit the gear in with the palm of your hand. They can be stiff, but you will know when it goes.

The original pops on and off with two finger pressure...I put my palm on the new gear and couldn't force the thing in with all my strength and I'm no sissy. It had a pretty good amount of tranny fluid on it when I started but, I guess I could try some grease on it.

Thanks for responding,

Sr

Problem doesn't lay with reinstalling the sensor, after gear install...it lay's with installing the gear INTO the sensor. Like I said the old one pops in and out with two fingers pressure. The new one, not even close.

We've had 60mph winds for the last two days so, I haven't gotten out to try again. Still leaning toward grease and a mild rap on the gear to try to seat it...

I don't have a new o-ring, but am willing to go back in a little later to put one on...My speedo is so far off it's driving me crazy.

Oh, I completely "get" the concept of rotating the sensor housing to the tooth indication...if I ever get the freaking gear to seat in the sensor housing.

Thanks Ya'll,

Sr

Back