• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas trouble when running

Frankkl

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 is acting funny. Some times, when its rainning most of the time, The gas ( throttle) keep jumping from very low (200-300 rpm) to 2000 rpm, all of that while driving. The only way I can stop the jumping up and down is by flooring the gas pedal. I once had a check engine light. I pluged it on a little computer my friend has and it said 'high voltage'. I think it could be the throttle position sensor but thats from reading the forum. I wanted to take it to the dealership but at 90$/hrs, for an intermitent problem...

Any idea?

i had the exact same problem, it would stall when you went into gear, and the rpm varied alot, the TPS was a recall on certain models and it is most likely the case. check this before you dump 90$ at an overpriced garage.

$45-ish at Autozone for a new TPS...very easy to replace yourself

trottle ups and low

UPDATE: I runned the jeep since September without any problem, now here is the situation:
The problem is intermitant so its hard to take it to me mecanic shop because it wont do when I do. Here it goes:
When driving, usualy in the first 10-15 minutes of driving it, the power goes down, enough to slow me from 50km/h to 20km/h in no time. The engine as no power for 2 or 3 secondes, its struguling not to stall. Then I can ear a big TOK! from the engine bay, sounds close to the troddle body. I can even feel it in the gas pedal and the the power goes up with the RPM (2500). This can go on for a few cycle like that, jerking the truck in no torque, full torque.
I was doing last summer so I did a full tune up, new cap, wires, plugs,air filter, had the injectors clean at the dealer. I even change the trottle position sensor (TPS). I figure its most likely not the fuel pump because I can get the engine to stabilise by giving it more gas and run at higher RPM.
Any ideas?

Have you taken a good look at your throttle cable. If it's frayed at all or not well connected it could be sticking, then "TOK", it releases.

I had a frayed cable and stuck between 2-300RPM to 2-3K PRM up to WOT. Just a thought.

Back