• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backup Camera for trailering

I'm assuming splitting the video feed on one screen is easy as long as there are 2 inputs?

also do you have a favorite brand/make/model of camera and display?

yeah, piece of cake, the one I linked to in the original post has two inputs for two cameras, I think they sell a version with three.

Split screens are usually expensive but many monitors have two or more inputs that can be scrolled between.
Wish there was a good place to mount a monitor but the dash full with switches, gauges and a GPS.

the one I liked two on the first page includes the monitor with two inputs (displays split screen), two cameras and all the wiring you need, $150 off amazon.
They're dirt cheap.

double din receivers are tempting, but I'm sure it will get stolen, even though they're no longer big ticket item.

True... but if they really want my five year old DD... go for it. If someone is going to rip me off, they're going to go for my tools/cb radio anyway.

double din receivers are tempting, but I'm sure it will get stolen, even though they're no longer big ticket item.

I'm more worried about the whole Jeep being stolen.

Crutchfield sells a double din adaptor plate but the three receivers they show fitting, that have video inputs, do not appear to be set up to activate
the camera and monitor when either the car is shifted into reverse or wired to allow manual operation at any time.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120956554B/Metra-95-6554B-Dash-Kit.html

Most of the receivers look to be set up for watching videos from a media recorder. That all have similar wording in the instructions
"wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)"

I guess that could be defeated but still, the automatic back up camera function is not included. It's probably best to have separate monitor.

Crutchfield sells a double din adaptor plate but the three receivers they show fitting, that have video inputs, do not appear to be set up to activate
the camera and monitor when either the car is shifted into reverse or wired to allow manual operation at any time.

Most of the receivers look to be set up for watching videos from a media recorder. That all have similar wording in the instructions
"wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)"

I guess that could be defeated but still, the automatic back up camera function is not included. It's probably best to have separate monitor.

That's probably just lousy instructions, auto backup camera is pretty common. On my pioneer, there's a wire you connect to your backup lights, and when that turns on it automatically triggers the camera.
I just connected that to a switch connected to +12v, and hitting the switch activates the camera.

If for whatever reason you don't want to set it up as a rear view camera (on some models they horizontal flip the image), defeating the parking brake requirement is a simple, $$5 part. They're all over ebay.

Be careful with the adapter-- note that it only works on 96+ xj's, and you really, really have very little room to work behind the dash. you want to get something very shallow.
On mine ('88) I had to do surgery on the HVAC duct which is directly behind the DD-- also had to get rid of the center AC ducy, move the AC controls down, and eventurally swapped out the slider style controls for rotary style controls because those controls are slimmer (which was a nightmare in itself, as there was only a single year they made mechanical rotary style controls, and they're all positive tripped controls, the sliders were negative tripped controls, I had to wire in a relay for EACH function... nightmare).

Anway, if you're thinking about doing a DD, I'd take the bezel out first, take a look behind your dash and make sure you know what you're getting into, and wouldn't necessarily trust crutchfield. If I were doing this all over again, I'd in a heartbeat go with one of those single dins with the pull out screen.

not to hijack my own thread.. but if I was doing a new head unit, I'd skip the DD, and go with something like this :
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD+Receivers/AVH-3500NEX

When I did my install the pop-out screens were super wonky, but now they're pretty decent.

I'd still consider a DD on a 96+ though.. just so much easier, long as you know what you're getting into .

I just did the double din install on my '98 and it was super easy with a Sony head unit. Just 1 chunk cut off from the AC work that I did with a little hack saw (dremmel would be easier). Also got a backup camera to install but haven't started work on that.

Oops, forgot to mention that the reason the Sony is easier is because they are L-shaped. IE the part that slides in the dash is single-DIN sized (more or less), but the front is a full height double-din screen. There's less interference with the ducts inside.

Yea those slide out screens are pretty awesome and don't scream knock my window out for a HU. Thx for posting that

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back