• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

arb twin compressor

solja4jc

NAXJA Forum User
I've used the search function to no avail.

I just purchased an ARB twin compressor on board air.

Where did you guys mount yours? I want it mounted in the engine compartment if possible.

Made a custom bracket from scrap metal. It fit in the same mounting holes as the air box. Heat from the pre-cats has not been a problem. I need to run the mounting bolts through some rubber to absorb vibrations while the pump is on.

cA7iAYu.jpg

Made a custom bracket from scrap metal. It fit in the same mounting holes as the air box. Heat from the pre-cats has not been a problem. I need to run the mounting bolts through some rubber to absorb vibrations while the pump is on.

cA7iAYu.jpg

how does the intake work? does it take a lot of moisture from being in the location from rain/snow?

The cowl intake is made by trailheadoffroad.com I think there is a video or two on the web that shows install and taking on water.

Basically you cut a hole in the firewall, passenger side of the cowl. A new cone air filter is inserted into the cowl and plumbed back to the intake.

Air is drawn from the drivers side and flows across to the passenger side. There is no opening above the air filter so rain and snow do not directly get sucked into the air filter. Excess water drains out of the cowl below the air filter where the hole is cut in. I have not had any issues with rain or snow.

It does have a loud sucking sound when you first start up as sound travels through the dash vents. It quiets down some after it warms up a few seconds and is more noticeable when you step on the gas. I'm not bothered by it at all although some people are more sensitive to the noise.

I know you said underhood but I mounted mine back in the Hatch. I'll have to get pics. But I wanted it inside the cabin to keep it out of the elements. I've heard the arbs mounted under the hood don't last at long due to the excessive heat 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

I mounted mine underneath the rear passenger seat. It is out of the heat and dirt.

I know you said underhood but I mounted mine back in the Hatch. I'll have to get pics. But I wanted it inside the cabin to keep it out of the elements. I've heard the arbs mounted under the hood don't last at long due to the excessive heat 🤷*♂️🤷*♂️

Probably right about the excess heat causing damage. So far it performs like new. I don't react well to loud sudden noises So I thought under the hood would be more tolerable. Guess I could move it behind the rear quarter panel and insulate. I'll keep the cowl intake where it is. :)

Pretty cool when vendors show up on the threads. :thumbup:

Right, holy cow, once it's put against some comparisons.

On another note I would opt for an in cab mount, clean air, cooler temps, ease of adding a tank if you ever want.
Are you sold on under the hood, or just like the idea?

The problem is an in cab mount is that those compressors aren't exactly quiet.

The problem is an in cab mount is that those compressors aren't exactly quiet.

True, my ARB in cab compressor is not whisper quiet however, unless there is an air leak it rarely runs and then only for a few seconds. Normally it will run for a few seconds only after a couple of wheeling breaks where I have shut off the engine 2-3 times. It does wake up the passenger sitting back there.

Right, holy cow, once it's put against some comparisons.

On another note I would opt for an in cab mount, clean air, cooler temps, ease of adding a tank if you ever want.
Are you sold on under the hood, or just like the idea?

I like the idea, I also don't want the extra noise. Being set up for expedition rig, I need all the room in the cab and on the roof for equipment and tents, ext ext.

I like the idea, I also don't want the extra noise. Being set up for expedition rig, I need all the room in the cab and on the roof for equipment and tents, ext ext.

I’m on that same page, I cut out the rockers and replaced with box tube sealed for air tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running the smaller ARB compressor where the air box went as well. Instead of fabbing a custom bracket I went to the junkyard and grabbed an XJ battery tray, then made a flat floor for it using an old license plate. Rusty's air tube replaced my airbox. Probably will do something more elegant sooner or later.

Back