• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Universal Joints

GoalPoster

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 98 Cherokee Sport, lifted 3"

I've never had vibes before but now they've started . . . up at the front. I've narrowed it down to being the universals because when I throw it in 4W, they diminish, but don't disappear.

In replacing them, is there a preferred brand that is sturdier than others and can a drivewayhack mechanic do this at home, or is it best to have it done at the shop.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Spicer products are considered the strongest "replacement" joints. There are others that are stronger, but at a much higher price.

As far as rebuilding it yourself, it isn't too hard with the right tools. Take your time, and take a pic of what it looks like before disassembly. You can use the socket and hammer technique, but it can get tricky at times with all of the moving parts. I'd recommend a good vise, and a U-joint tool.

Good luck!

John

My Jeep is making a creaking/shuddering noice at the end of the steering range on hard right and left turns. Would that be the U-Joints going bad? Thanks for any help- Oh- and does anyone know which Spicer U-Joints to buy for a 91 Sport 4.0HO?

Back