• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help sourcing piston rings

gary69

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, just getting into a 96 XJ that had low compression on cyl 3. Got it all tore down and the piston out. Honed the bore and got a bearing set and a piston ring set from advance auto parts. Sealed power was the brand. The piston rings fit into the bore and have good end gap clearance. But the rings themselves are too thick to fit into the grooves of the piston itself. I returned them and they said that one part number claims it covers all 4.0's from 84-01 and that they cannot help me. I tried rings from Napa and had the same issue, also sealed power. I cracked open another 4.0 from a 93 YJ to compare rings and they are the same as what came out of the XJ. So I know that it's not just something crazy goin on with this particular engine. Has anyone else had this issue before?

Your problem is standard vs. metric rings. I believe the change over year was 96. It sounds like you have standard rings and metric pistons.

Two part numbers after a quick google:
SEALED POWER Part # E925K
ENGINETECH Part # M38816

Did you try RockAuto. Or try CarQuest or Advanced Auto if you have one near you. You'll need to know if you need metric or standard rings. You could always take one of your pistons with you.

RING PACKAGE, Engine ***

4762 462 1 1994-95
4798 878 1 1996

I.D. LOCATION IS ON RIGHT FRONT SIDE OF ENGINE NEAR
OIL FILTER. ***
I.D. LOCATION 4.0L ENGINE

Back