• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

Are you sure about the OD with no lockup in power mode? That would generate A LOT of heat. Plus my '91 locks the TC in OD in power mode.

My 87 does as well. Just changes the shift points.

I think the Power mode does go into Overdrive w/ TC lockup afterwards and I probably just left off the last shift in my previous notes. I used a Snap-On scanner to watch the differences but I didn't make very good notes.

Are you sure about the spline count on the input shafts on the T-case? My stock 93 AW4 w/NP231 has a 21 spline shaft? You claim it should be a 23 spline?

That simply isn't possible... everyone I've ever spoken with, the parts catalogs, and my personal experience agree with that the split was somewhere late in 90 or between 90 and 91. My bet is that someone swapped in an 87-90 transfer case and transmission as a pair when one or the other died, sometime before you bought the vehicle. This isn't really too surprising, everything bolts up if you do that to a 93. Any chance you could get the part numbers and datecode+serial number off the transmission and transfer case?

Nope. I'm the 2nd owner of this vehicle and I bought it from the original owner. So it's bone stock and unmolested.

However, the guy that rebuilt my T-case told me it was a 21, and installed a 21 spline input shaft. And since I think he's a dumbass anyway, it does not surprise me that he is wrong and it is a 23 spline shaft.

Thanks for the info, now I have to get my hands on a 23 spline input shaft for my NP231 t-case and fix what this guy did.

If it went back together he did the right thing and "forgot" to tell you, or he swapped out the transmission as well. A 21 spline input is smaller diameter than a 23 spline output shaft and it won't even slide over, it's impossible to bolt up the wrong spline count case to a 23 spline transmission as far as I know. The other way around is possible (accidentally putting a 23 spline case on a 21 spline transmission) and you won't realize your mistake till you start the vehicle and go nowhere because the 21 spline shaft spins freely inside the 23 spline input gear.

Just know that there was a BA5, BA10

Just one thing: to the best of my knowledge, Peugeot did not made a BA5/x transmission.

In XJs and MJs, the BA10/5 was used; some 4-cylinder Peugeot cars used a BA7/5 (or, if early enough, a BA7/4). The first number is something of a relative strength indicator, with the second number being the number of speeds. There was a 10/4 as well, but that never made it into XJs (or, I believe, anything Peugeot sold in the US market).

Just one thing: to the best of my knowledge, Peugeot did not made a BA5/x transmission.

In XJs and MJs, the BA10/5 was used; some 4-cylinder Peugeot cars used a BA7/5 (or, if early enough, a BA7/4). The first number is something of a relative strength indicator, with the second number being the number of speeds. There was a 10/4 as well, but that never made it into XJs (or, I believe, anything Peugeot sold in the US market).
My mistake. Apparently I've been misreading it all along, I thought people referred to a BA5 or BA10 when saying BA10/5... :dunce:

I have no experience with the pukegoats as most RENIX era jeeps up here rusted out like ten years ago, so I never realized I was being an idiot till you said that.

I think the Power mode does go into Overdrive w/ TC lockup afterwards and I probably just left off the last shift in my previous notes. I used a Snap-On scanner to watch the differences but I didn't make very good notes.

For those of us with Jeeps that have a defective Power/Comfort switch, there is a simple fix. If the switch fails you'll be stuck in Comfort/Grandma mode.

Simply remove the switch and unplug it. There are three wires in the harness plug: Black, Tan, and one with a stripe. Make a jumper and install it into the cavity for the tan wire and the striped wire. Leave the Black one alone.
Be sure to check the "trans" fuse in the fusebox as it may be blown due to the old shorted switch. If that fuse is not replaced, you'll default to Comfort/Grandma mode.

• 1997, the AW4 is exactly the same as the 1990.5-1996 units, except the electrical connector for the wiring harness changed. A simple cut and splice will solve this problem.

• Do you have more details on the cut/splice to put a 1997 AW4 into a '95 XJ?

I picked up a '97 AW4, the harness has only one connector with 5-pins. My '95 AW4 has the 7-pin connector that routes up the firewall in addition to a 2-pin connector on a short pigtail, by the rear of tranny, drivers side.

NSS's are different, as detailed in the OP.

The small connector at the rear is for one of the transfer case lights; if it has a pigtail and is yellow/black and red/black then it's the jumper for the 242 transfer case. Some of the later years had different harnesses depending on how the jeep was ordered

Could also be the connector for the output speed sensor maybe? What wire colors? Any chance you could post a pic?

Never seen what ehall described but it would not surprise me in the least.

The small connector at the rear is for one of the transfer case lights; if it has a pigtail and is yellow/black and red/black then it's the jumper for the 242 transfer case. Some of the later years had different harnesses depending on how the jeep was ordered

that looks right. Below is a pic of my 95 AW4, the 91 looks the same.

So both the 97 and 95 trannys have the same 5 color wires (black, white/tan, white/black, violet/white, blue/white) for the speed sensor and solenoids, that must be where the simple cut/splice occurs.

001_-3.jpg

I'm doing a tranny & transfer case swap... the swap is this:

Donor = 88 xj with power option automatic tranny and 242 t-case.
Receiving = 93 xj with standard tranny and 231 t-case.

Upon reading this tread I know the swap is a direct bolt up however I'm a little confused and need mor clarification about electrical connectors.

The automatic 88 Donor tranny's plug is 2 wire, it also has the power transmission switch in the dash.

The standard 93 receiving xj has a 3 wire connector and of course, no power option.

My question's are: how do I splice the 88 2 wire tranny plug to the 93 3 wire plug in the 93 engine compartment? How do I get the power option into the dash?

I found a 01 trans. To put in my 97 . So the only change I have to make is the speed sensor inside tail housing? I see no mention of connectors being different for swap and computer change since sensors communication to ecm will be different with newer trans and sensors. Is is sensor only or all the items for computer processing?

Up to 1993.5, the ZJ 4.0 came with the AW4.

I believe that is correct. The renix TCUs all had grey connectors and can be interchanged. There might be subtle changing in the shifting maps, but they can be swapped. The HO TCUs all had green connectors, and red seems to correspond to the Chrysler made trannies.

They interchange. As you stated, shifting differences along the line. I believe in 1987 they shifted 1,2,3 lock converter, unlock converter as it went to OD, lock converter in OD. 1988 and later shifted 1,2,3,OD, lock converter.

When you say "simple Butt crimp" i'm wondering what i'm doing wrong because it isn't simple to me. I put in a 96 aw4 into my 97 cherokee and the 96 has 7 wires, but the 97 has 5. I hooked up 5 of the color coded ones but the jeep won't start.

Do you know which wires go where? any advice?

Thanks in advance for the help and the extremely helpful thread.

Are you sure you didn't wire the NSS to the TCU harness and the solenoid harness to the NSS plug on the wiring harness? That could easily cause a no-start... wiring the TCU/solenoid harness wrong should not cause one, it just won't shift right.

Back