• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can hear the fuel pump prime.......(no turn over)

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Getting real excited.....Can hear the starter relay click but the starter does not turn over. How many wires are there on the mits. starters. I bolted two. Realy wire and the posative to the starter. However, in the same bundle there is a grond that looks like it belongs to somewhere down there. Anyone got a clue? 94 2.5L into an 84XJ almost ready to start...... Just will not turn over.

There is a ground....

That went to a stud on the block between the 3rd and 4th cylander and below the head. There is a wire that is on the bottom of the starter selanoid that goes into the starter. Grond to the case I assume. Will any sensors unplugged cause a no crank?

Starter cercuit?

Ok, so I ran a hot wire to the trigger pole on the selanoid on the starter. She turn over. Are there any fuses between the starter relay and the starter?

Keep in mind my experience is limited to the pre 91 XJ's so this might not apply. On those XJ's the signal wire for the starter solenoid comes directly from the starter relay on the passenger side of the engine bay.

If your starter works I'd start seeing if the signal wire goes positive while cranking. If it doesn't follow it up to it's next connection (at the relay for my XJ) and check to see if that terminal goes positive with cranking. If it doesn't your relay is probably bad.

Good luck.

As a general rule to diagnosing electrical issues I usually start at the load where I know there should be power i.e. light, starter, stereo etc. If there is then the load is probably bad. If there isn't power I start following the wires back to their next connection and test again. This way you can determine if the problem is in the wiring or at least narrow down what is good and what is potentially bad.

ok from what I can gather......

The trouble shooting I have done with the manual I have says. "Repair open fused B (+) circuit." Where would this fuse be? And what size?

Woo Hoo!

Two $2 fuses and fuse packs and she turns over.

Back