• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Mount

XJTripp

NAXJA Forum User
My 1989 XJ has a 3-inch lift since before I bought it and had no noticeable driveline vibes. The trans mount got soft and I installed an aftermarket replacement trans mount. I noticed that it is much taller than the original. I chalked it up to 14 years of compression as the explanation for the difference.

I estimate it has lifted my tailshaft close to an inch. Now, just as I top out in second gear I get a pronounced vibration. It goes away in 3rd and 4th and is fairly strong if accelerating hard in 2nd.

Are there various heights to the trans mounts sold? At this lift should I have to consider shimming the spring mounts or lowering the t-case?

Thanks for any help.

mine did the same thing, daystar mount. I put a 1.5" t case drop on until I can make a better x member.

Seems a waste to have to make a crossmember with a drop built in to compensate for a transmission mount that raises it. I've looked at a few different companies' transmission mounts, and not all of them raise the transmission. Swap it out for one that doesn't raise it, and if you still want to build a custom crossmember, build it with more clearance instead of a built-in drop, or a little of both.

Trans Mount

Guess what? The new mount has visibly settled in. Just eyeballing it looks like it has squashed down maybe a 1/2-inch since installed. The vibration is much less pronounced and only becomes apparent at near WOT in second gear. I'm going to see if it will settle in. I think I will take your advice if this does not work itself out and hunt another supplier for the trans mount

Back