• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to remove locking bolt for differetial crosspin

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best and safest way to remove the bolt that holds the cross pin in the differential housing. I've heard it's easy to snap them and definitely don't want to do that. If it does snap what is the best way to remove the broken part.
Thanks,
Bill

Assuming your talking about the "bolt"style pin, I always use a six point socket.

Definitely don't want to break that bolt I broke one of it was a huge mess

Had to remove mine today. A six-sided 7mm works but I couldn't get it on with the bearing cap in place and didn't have a 7mm six-sided box-end wrench. I do have a full set of e-torx bits though--it is an e-10 socket.

Not sure of which years, but on some years they used a Loc Tite that was a stronger bond than the torque needed to remove the bolt. 50/50 chance the bolt would snap before the Loc Tite would give.

Tap on the top of the bolt being careful not to ding the bolt head up too much. Or heat with a flame. I've got a butane torch with a needle flame which is about perfect for this. It doesn't have to be red hot. One technique that has worked out for me is to heat it up, then spray it with WD40 or similar spray lube to shock cool it, repeat. A few cycles of heating and cooling (expansion and contraction) usually does the trick, works great on rear brake lines.

I've got a pretty good touch and haven't snapped one off yet, but have helped many others who screwed the pooch. If you do snap it off all isn't lost, drill into the bolt until you pop through, use a long thin punch to force the rest of the bolt parts/pieces out the other side, the bolt hole goes all the way through, the threads only partway. Replace the bolt with a rolled steel pin, some come that way anyway, not all have locking bolts. Just for insurance I usually spot weld (MIG) the cross pin on both ends. An angle grinder makes short work of a spot weid.

Back