• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my friend crazy?

Hiaboo

NAXJA Forum User
Is he crazy? for one thing last week we got in a discussion about our car's offroading abilites. He has a '95 tacoma LX with standard, and I have a '94 cherokee auto. Both of our cars are completely stock with 4x4, somehow he believes that the tacoma can outperform a jeep on the same trail. I tell him no way because the Jeep is acutally designed for that purpose but he refuses to believe that.. o_O so gimme some pointers to close up his smack talkin mouth...

Hiaboo said:
Is he crazy? for one thing last week we got in a discussion about our car's offroading abilites. He has a '95 tacoma LX with standard, and I have a '94 cherokee auto. Both of our cars are completely stock with 4x4, somehow he believes that the tacoma can outperform a jeep on the same trail. I tell him no way because the Jeep is acutally designed for that purpose but he refuses to believe that.. o_O so gimme some pointers to close up his smack talkin mouth...

His Taco may have a rear locking differential, which may assist him on the trail more than your open differential will help you, that is IF he knows how to properly use it.

As far as his IFS vs your SFA, that debate will rage on to eternity...it boils down to driver skill, this summer I watched a stock GMC pick up (the regular model, looks almost too low to be a 4WD but is model), anyway that guy drove the balls outta that truck....followed us stock to semi-stock jeepers in & out of everything, not needing to be yanked anymore than we did. He was a great driver, knew his truck and knew how to follow a good line.

Last edited:
hmm I'd have to agree. But however the times i've went wheeling with him, it seems that he relies on dumb luck half of the time and the other day He went wheeling down a short back access road where a lot of people go but it's pretty "dipsy" has alot of mini hills, that it's possible to bottom out and the water was barely up to the top of the troughs in between which is around 1-2 feet and not to mention the mud. He just drove nose in, and I think he was very lucky to not to get stuck. As soon as he went in one of the dips, the water came up so high that he freaked out and stepped on the gas and pratically went roaring out of there at around 20 mph and that certainly can't be too good for anything. *shrug* just a bad experience for me to hear about that from another firend who was there with him at that time, I just thought he'd have more common sense than that.. I guess not.

But yes, I agree with you about the driver bit, that it basically all boils down to the driver.

Hiaboo said:

Pointer 1: Make sure both of ya got the gumption & gear to get out of the places you get into. Don't let your tickles override your brain & equipment. Smack your buddy into submission with preparedness. At least have water aboard to hike you and your passengers out.

Pointer 2: Learn how to disconnect your front sway bar and remove the rear one. Do a little surgery to your lower (front) shock mounts. The rearmost spot binds on the lower control arm in droop. Another trick is to straighten & relocate the stiff brake line, Two holes and a self-tapping bolt.

Hiaboo said:
haha i'd love to do that but here, i'm at a huge disadvantage at this point because i only have street tires :( and it's quite wet here.

THat's no excuse: talk to Sequoia about his slicks! Also there must be a local jeeper that might be willing to let you borrow his/her tires for a day or so :D

Kejtar said:
THat's no excuse: talk to Sequoia about his slicks! Also there must be a local jeeper that might be willing to let you borrow his/her tires for a day or so :D

True.. I do know a guy with a 4.6 stroker(I think), 5" lift, 33" tires .. and plenty of other junk... it is for sale too though, so i may take it for a "test drive" heh. ;)

Back