• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

socal fest!

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
when is it this year? still in May?

still in bigbear?

may isnt that far away and i need to start making plans!

:yelclap:

GrimmJeeper said:
when is it this year? still in May?

still in bigbear?

may isnt that far away and i need to start making plans!

:yelclap:
:D we are actually hashing out the details and working on getting it approved but you're pretty much on the money.
anonymous official said:
Event will be held the first weekend in May in Big Bear. More details to follow

SoCalXJ Jamboree, Truckhaven, Feb 15/16/17. You promised to come out and show me what articulation is.

cal said:
SoCalXJ Jamboree, Truckhaven, Feb 15/16/17. You promised to come out and show me what articulation is.
HA when was this?? on short arms with stock uppers? i'll let you know by pointing out someone doing it :D i want to make sxj jambo but i doubt i will make it, im going back to glamis for presidents day weekend.

Kejtar said:
:D we are actually hashing out the details and working on getting it approved but you're pretty much on the money.

May?!?!

Is this in conjunction with the AAT? What happened to doing it in conjunction w/ Earth Day in April?

karstic said:
May?!?!

Is this in conjunction with the AAT? What happened to doing it in conjunction w/ Earth Day in April?
It was moved to May last year cause of temps. We're probably going to stick to that timeframe as April might be too early for both AAT and camping. But... the event being in May does not prohibit us from doing AAT maintenance before if needed (all depends on weather)

Kejtar said:
It was moved to May last year cause of temps. We're probably going to stick to that timeframe as April might be too early for both AAT and camping. But... the event being in May does not prohibit us from doing AAT maintenance before if needed (all depends on weather)

Whatever

So first weekend in May, same loop in Serrano?

karstic said:
Whatever

So first weekend in May, same loop in Serrano?
Looks like it. But please wait with reservations till we confirm couple things. SHouldn't be too long till we make an official announcement.

My $.02...

As I said last year (after the fact, because of some harsh criticism from those that did show friday) I CANNOT come friday. I cant close the shop to go pick up trash. I know this is a problem for many people, some of us do not have the luxury of writing our own schedules, or if we do, it is because we are the only ones to run the show. I will definetely be there Sunday, if the trail maint. is done then. I know this presents problems all by itself too.

I think the fact is, unless trail cleanup is saturday, then there will be few able to do it.

seriously that was the same sentiment shared by a number of people the last couple of years. Why it continued to be done on a day where the fewest people could participate is beyond me.

JohnX said:
My $.02...

As I said last year (after the fact, because of some harsh criticism from those that did show friday) I CANNOT come friday. I cant close the shop to go pick up trash. I know this is a problem for many people, some of us do not have the luxury of writing our own schedules, or if we do, it is because we are the only ones to run the show. I will definetely be there Sunday, if the trail maint. is done then. I know this presents problems all by itself too.

I think the fact is, unless trail cleanup is saturday, then there will be few able to do it.

Gerr said:
seriously that was the same sentiment shared by a number of people the last couple of years. Why it continued to be done on a day where the fewest people could participate is beyond me.
From what I know only last year had a fairly small turnout. All the previous years there were quite a few people at the trail cleanup, so it was a non issue till recently. Since we have to coordinate that with the forestry folks as well, we'll see what are our choices.

What better way to celebrate earth day than a weekend out of doors enjoying the rocks?

One thing I want to ask is which day will get the most confirmed and actual participation? I have been a part of the trail clean-up for the past 3 years. except I last year. Jeep problems and work keep me away from the work day.

I ran our AAT with Brendan back in Oct. There is some growth, boulders, and trash to deal with, but not a ton.

The next thing is Earth Day. Earth Day is April 28th this year. It's only 1 week difference. So temps won't change much, it will still be cold.

The biggest thing we must do is find out when the Forrestry Service can work with us. Remi and I will talk with Geoff and get the details going. As soon as we get the time from from the FS, we will post up and get National BOD to OK it.

In the mean time, we need to think about what we want to run, dinner, raffle, possibility of shirts (pre-order/pre-pay), as well as who can attend. I can see at least 2 more threads that will be needed for planning once we solidify the date.

Maybe a poll to see who prefers Sunday over Friday trail work day? I think I will do that right now... so please take a look at it and vote. If you vote, that signifies your interest in participating. If you do not plan on participating, please do not vote.

Poll is here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938265

Thanks!

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
The Earth Day might be tough though due to it being so early in the year. When we held the even in April folks complained about weather and cold.

:rattle: :rattle: :rattle:

Wear a hat and mittens. Turn on the heater. That's why we have XJ's.

Last year was in May and it was fawkin' cold. One week isn't going to make a difference.

We should take advantage of the publicity of Earth Day to get some positive recognition of the off-road community for a change, my God we need it.

karstic said:
:rattle: :rattle: :rattle:

Wear a hat and mittens. Turn on the heater. That's why we have XJ's.

Last year was in May and it was fawkin' cold. One week isn't going to make a difference.
hey: don't look at me: I have no problem with lower temps
We should take advantage of the publicity of Earth Day to get some positive recognition of the off-road community for a change, my God we need it.
Actually... one thing that was looked at was the fact that on earth day EVERYONE is doing something and we will be lost in the background noise (we did not get ANY coverage 2 years ago from what I know). So... doing it at a different time then everyone else will make us stand out a bit more.

Back