• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE compatibility

check the tom woods site or the rugged ridge site they might be able to tell you

quick question: can a SYE kit for a 96+ be used on a 93?

Odds are against you,thats the split year,most of the ones Ive seen are 96+era!

NOPE,every 96 Ive seen has had the "new" t-case,and the sye kit for a 97+ will not work on a 95 and earlier!

first things first... which SYE kit? Almost every one I've seen works for any NP/NV231. Only differences are some old ones have a cable driven speedometer, and some years (pre-96?) have bearings you have to remove.

first things first... which SYE kit? Almost every one I've seen works for any NP/NV231. Only differences are some old ones have a cable driven speedometer, and some years (pre-96?) have bearings you have to remove.

Good point(duh/brain fart).If its a HD kit then yes,H-n-T no.

The only thing you will need is the tail shaft housing to make it work correct?

got a link to the parts?

Can't seem to find anyone selling just the housing but here's a pic of what you need. You might be able to get one at a JY cheap or just buy the seal housing from RE(The purple thing and seal to the left).
6568_1.jpg

324.jpg

Last edited:
I just put a RE SYE on my 99. Its super easy, and pretty cheap, but it wont work on yours if its made for post 97

Can't seem to find anyone selling just the housing but here's a pic of what you need. You might be able to get one at a JY cheap or just buy the seal housing from RE(The purple thing and seal to the left).
6568_1.jpg

324.jpg

To use a 97+ SYE kit on a pre-97, you would need a 97+ tailshaft housing AND a 97+ tail shaft!and no seal adapter.

A pre-97 seal adapter will not bolt to a 97+ housing!
BTW:I have a 97+ housing and output shaft,pm if interested.

Bringing this back..

How can i ID a pre and post 97 SYE visually? I have a Currie H&T SYE that was in a 96 231, with it being the changeover year i'd like to make certain of it's application.

Bringing this back..

How can i ID a pre and post 97 SYE visually? I have a Currie H&T SYE that was in a 96 231, with it being the changeover year i'd like to make certain of it's application.

Did some checking. On Tom Woods site something seems screwy, they show 94 and older, a 95 and a 96 and later. But the pics dont look right when compared to unmodified and modified. Anyway, i was able to ID my SYE as a pre 96 with these pics. So i'm correct in assuming this SYE will work in any NP231 up to a 96 model year?

Heres a 96+ modified shaft.

231SYE96.jpg

And a 95.

231SYE95prior.jpg

Last edited:
A 96 and earlier (H-n-T kit)will allways work on a 97+ since all that is required is the flange.96 and earlier still require the output shaft seal(the 3 bolt flange).

Back