• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96/99 231 compatibility??

mjma

NAXJA Forum User
What kind of problems would I run into if I took the Tcase off of my 99XJ and wanted to run it on my 96XJ for a few weeks???? Both 4.0L/AW4/231 Direct fit, right? Plug in respective speedo cables? I know they're both different, but if I use the speedo doo-hickey from the correct vehicle, it will work, right?

Want to do this because I want to tear into the Tcase in my 96, think it's got a stretched chain, or worse, and the 99 has a big red "R" on the windshield...and I'm too lazy to deal with that. Would rather get the 96 running as a DD.

I've got all week to have both of the vehicles down and out, because I'm on-call at work and will be driving a company vehicle all week!!

Shouldn't be a problem - the only significant mechanical change I can think of is going from 21-spline to 23-spline on the input - which happened back around 1989/1990. There were some changes to the cut of the input gearset around that time, but those are internal changes, and you're not looking to swap parts.

Excellent! It would have sucked to rip both Tcases out only to find that I couldn't run the one from my 99 in the 96. The 96 has a valid inspection sticker. I just got a letter in the mail notifying me that it is illegal to drive my 99 on the road!!! Somehow I've been DDing it and not getting pulled over!!

Back