• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding on a JKS sway bar extension bracket - need to cut the quick disconnects too?

lordoeuf

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't used this forum in at least a decade and I cannot figure out how to attach images. I don't use image hosting services. Hence I will have to explain my issue in words. Sorry.

I have '99 XJ with 5.5" of lift and have the fairly common problem of having the PS drag-link-to-tie-rod joint bang into the bottom joint of the JKS quick disconnect. So I thought I'd purchase the JKS weld-on sway bar relocation bracket which raises the sway bar quick connect attachment point up by 2". In doing so, the draglink joint will not longer bang into the JKS swaybar link.

The problem is that my JKS quick disconnects are already adjusted to the shortest lengths because I'm also using the chassis side swaybar drop bracket which drops and moves forward the connection point. I cannot simply get rid of that drop bracket because it moves the swaybar forward to prevent the quick disconnects from hitting coil springs when bouncing around in the Jeep.

Is the typical solution to this problem to lob off 2" from the female threaded side of the JKS disconnect tubes? Will doing so alter any performance of the anti-sway bar system?

I was also wondering if I welded on these 2" JKS extension brackets to the axle tube, will I be able to, at a later time, switch to a high-steer setup and keep the welded on 2" JKS relocation bracket? Or will I need to cut off the JKS and weld the factory swaybar mount back onto the axle? I currently don't have any issue with factory draglink/tierod setup, though I am using the Crown HD solid bar replacement product.

Sorry for all words, but I cannot figure out how to attach the photos I took to explain this better.

JKS disconnects come in different lengths for different amounts of lift.

Having moved the mount up you have essentially reduced the lift as far as the sway bar is concerned. Getting a set of shorter lift disconnects would be the best solution.

In a perfect world you could find someone to trade with as they go bigger, but my world rarely works out that gracefully.

Just adjust the length for what you have, I modified (lengthened) a set of stock ones 20yrs ago and still run them.
66740020_zpsm5wnzkhm.jpg

Back