• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sons XJ won't start

Dominion

NAXJA Forum User
My son came home late last night and he thought he'd shut off his car while still coasting, 🙄. He had it in nuetral.. Now it wont start. It cranks great but won't turn over. Any idea why? Did he blow something up? I was thinking a vapor lock or something but have no idea. We have not tried it yet this morning. We live close to other neighbors so didn't want to crank on it too hard at 2am. Thought I'd ask before we give it a go

Check the basics,fuel pump powering up, gas in the tank, spark, of course air.
Could by crank position sensor if spark is an issue.

He shouldn’t have trouble if all it was was a shut off in neutral, at least on the old pre 96-97 xj. Those are basic as you can get, hell I had our commander go dead at highway speed, (recalled ignition switch), dropped it in to neutral and restarted all in seconds, so unless he tore something else up or something like the CPS on the cusp of failure it should start up. If it’s cold now it should fire up if the heat or some kind of vapor lock were the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check for spark and injector pulse (put a rod or something on the injector and listen for clacking noise). If you have neither then its an EFI problem: crank sensor, cam sensor, computer, ASD relay, or wiring. If you have spark or injection, but not the other, then the problem is on the subsystem. If you have both then its probably fuel pressure or something on the air subsystems.

Looks like it's a connection problem from faulty old battery terminal wires. We will check all the other common issues as you guys suggest but for now, she's running. Thanks very much for the replies. We are new to XJ'S. His is a 97 and We just put a 4.5 lift on it. Thing looks bad ass so now I'm on the market for a pre 96 myself. Love these things! I'm glad I found y'all..I'm sure I'll need ya again

Back