• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ice on inside of windshield

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I had a first happen today. I went outside to start my 1994 XJ this morning to let it warm up since it was 16* outside. As I walked out I saw the frost on the windshield and it looked like spider webs. I reached down to touch it and the glass was smooth, the frost was on the inside of the glass.

All windows were rolled up and the Jeep had not been driven in more than a week. What would cause this? I've never had this happen to a vehicle before. The XJ does need to have a leaking heater core replaced so could that be some moisture from it that froze?

I didn't even try to start it after I saw that.

Clearly condensation inside, don't know why you were afraid to start it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just didn't want to deal with the hassle this morning.

Clearly condensation inside,

Just condensation. Happens a lot to me in all vehicles. Especially if you've tracked snow or water into the vehicle that added some humidity, and you have large temp swings between day and night. Just warm up the vehicle with the defroster running.

Ed, I had the same thing on the Commander this weekend. On Saturday it rained all day long and my Jeep sat out. When I went out that night, the condensation was thick on the inside of the windshield. Not sure if it actually froze or not, but there was some evidence of it when I went out about 10:00 yesterday morning to go to work.

That's what a 30* temp swing after a rainstorm will do I guess.

Ed, I had the same thing on the Commander this weekend. On Saturday it rained all day long and my Jeep sat out. When I went out that night, the condensation was thick on the inside of the windshield. Not sure if it actually froze or not, but there was some evidence of it when I went out about 10:00 yesterday morning to go to work.

That's what a 30* temp swing after a rainstorm will do I guess.

That makes sense. It sat in the pouring rain at 55* just like yours did and then it got cold.

This can also happen if you were in the vehicle in the cold without the defrost on and then left. Your breath can fog up the inside of the windshield and it will freeze if you don't have defrost on.

Back