• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED Stop Turn Tail / Wiring Question - Searched = dead ends

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
I could PM, but some of these guys haven't been on for a while. searching didn't reveal any good solid answers.

SO... Someone help me get this straight, it seems I will need two trailer wiring harnesses. One for each side? In the case I am using Stop Turn Tail LEDs. Is this correct, AND DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF THESE WIRED (yes a pic of the wires connected would be wonderful) I'm reading Draw-tite and Resse are the only good ones. However someone said about a stock trailer hookup & you dont need to buy anything? Help me out here.

ANY LINKS, PICS or PART NUMBERS & PLACES to get the stuff would be GREAT. It seems most of the good solid answers / pics / diagrams are being given back channel or emailed.

Last edited:
I used a 6" Oval LED STT and spliced it into the factory harness only using Stop and Tails. I used a 2" Round Amber LED for the Turn Signal spliced into the factory harness. I replaced the turn signal flasher with an electronic one from AutoZone. Everything works great. I did it this way for simplicity.

if your trying to wire up a trailer harness remove the drivers side plastic panel in the liftgate area behind where the stock spare mount was and theres gonna be a connector in there. I got a splice at autozone that was plug and play it goes in the middle of the factory connector and works great...plus you can store it inside to avoid corrosion

You are right about the brand of converter, the reese/drawtright brands are the only brands known to work. You can use one converter for both tails, I had a diagram I drew up awhile back but I will have to find it. What I did though was I bought all the parts, and exposed all the wires. After that it was very straight forward from there as long as you know what each stock wire does.

I used a 6" Oval LED STT and spliced it into the factory harness only using Stop and Tails. I used a 2" Round Amber LED for the Turn Signal spliced into the factory harness. I replaced the turn signal flasher with an electronic one from AutoZone. Everything works great. I did it this way for simplicity.

STT is what I am doing, not a separate turn signal.
:twak: but thanks for that post.

You are right about the brand of converter, the reese/drawtright brands are the only brands known to work. You can use one converter for both tails, I had a diagram I drew up awhile back but I will have to find it. What I did though was I bought all the parts, and exposed all the wires. After that it was very straight forward from there as long as you know what each stock wire does.

Thanks... at least one person gave solid info.

What pisses me off is I went to 3 different local auto parts places and one truck parts store, it seems Hopkins and the other crappy kind (hooper?)have the market cornered. even places that carry Reese hitches dont have the harnesses. WTF... guess I'll just order one online. I didn't realise it was such a process to get the Stop Turn Tails to function. christ.

:skull1:

ok so is this what I need??? WTF? so I splice into this and run wires to the passenger side? and that smaller plug takes the place of the passenger side wiring harness? Someone give me a diagram... Please. I want to know how to do it correctly. Not how farmer bob jerry rigged his farm beater.

T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4 Pole Trailer Connector - Jeep Cherokee

118354.jpg

Quantity in Cart: None
Code: 118354
Price: $27.95

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] Tow Ready T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese
  • Provides a 4-pole flat trailer connector for the vehicle
  • Quick and Easy
  • No Cutting, Splicing or Taping
  • Just Plug in the T-One Connector and You're Ready to Tow
  • Solid One Piece Construction
  • 16 Gauge Bonded Wire w/ 4-Flat Plug
  • "Factory" Appearance
  • Simple Do-It-Yourself Instructions on Every Package
Can be used with 5-pole, 6-pole or 7-pole adapters. Installation: Connection point is located behind the trim panel, behind spare tire on the driver's side. The 4-pole trailer connector will be stowed inside the cargo area when not in use.
Tech Tip: It is always a good idea to apply a small amount of grease to all electrical connections to help prevent corrosion.
Warning:Overloading circuit can cause fires. Do not exceed lower of towing manufacturer rating or:
  • Max. stop/turn light: 1 per side (2.1 amps)
  • Max. tail lights: (4 amps)
[/SIZE][/FONT]
This is a custom fit application for the following vehicles.
Use the HitchHunter(R) to find what fits.
1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you're trying to do...but I just wired up an LED set-up for the rear with trailer lights, brakes, run lights, turn, and reverse...if you want I can post a pic. Just took the stock harness and cut it at the tail lights and spliced them to the plugs.

~Scott

wiring up LED - STOP TURN TAIL LIGHTS (STT) for Tail light guards on the XJ... No trailer... However everyone that seems to have any knowlege on the subject is saying to USE A TRAILER WIRING HARNESS.

So...

For a RED "STT" TAIL LIGHT, ANYONE that has any PICS of the WIRING SET UP... this would be GREATLY appreciated. I could give up and have a seperate turn signal LED. I dont WANT to do that ...I'd like to use the STT LED as it was intended as a STOP (BRAKE LIGHT) TURN SIGNAL & TAIL (Marker Light).

I know it sounds odd, but vehicle year?
Does it have a factory tow package?

I don't know why you are discounting trailer wiring solutions, after all, that is'nt that exactly what you are asking for (Conversion from EU standard Stop/Tail-Turn to Stop/Turn/Tail?

You could look up your Jeep by year, look on GLJT for a FSM for the thing, buy two relays and do the conversion yourself. After all, thats how the factory does the conversion from ST-T to STT for your trailer hook up.

Last edited:
ok... Let me start over...

I have THREE wires for the STT LEDs... I have three wires to the stock brake light bulb and 2 wires to the turn signal. I realise two of these five wires are Ground.
So connect the two grounds and I have 4 wires to connect to three. It is my understanding I cant go slapping it all together because it will give the turn signal or Brake relay incorrect signals and therefore will not work...

ok... so (sigh)

If I get the ABOVE PICTURED trailer harness, what am I splitting connecting where. do I need to run some wire across to the passenger side somehow for the end result?

Please. If you have no knowlege, DONT clutter the thread. Trying to get some solid info here. And believe me... I WILL do a full write up with pics when this is all over.

Last edited:
Yes, the STT lights you have are like an 1157 bulb, two elements with a common ground.

The ST-T lights the Jeep has use an 2157 and a single element bulb, thus 2 signal wires and a ground for the ST and a signal and ground for the Turn.

You can't just splice the wires on. You need to buy a convertor for STT trailer lights, or use the handy Jeep idea of using 2 relays to do relay logic to do the conversion. Jeep does it a simple way, one relay per side.

Edit: After examining the Jeep's relay logic, you will need to retain a 1) 2157 per side as Jeep uses an element in each signal path as part of the relay logic to prevent cross talk between the Turn and Brake signals as you would get if you just used a dual diode to combine the signals.

Last edited:
Back