• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed TPS, CEL came on?

spokes2002

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ sport 4.5" lift. I am running stock manifold/converters, with a flowmaster super 40 out back, stage 1 jet chip, poweraid throttle body spacer, rusty's airtube/kn filter, E3 plugs, and a painless hi-velocity 62mm throttle body. I have recently done a tune up and changed out the Idle air control valve, and TPS. After I put the new TPS in, the engine idles very high and my CEL came on. Put the old sensor back in and it runs ok CEL gone. Why would a new sensor cause this problem? Also the reason for the tune up is that recently i feel as though i have lost some HP. I have never changed the injectors, they have 150,000 miles on them. Should they be changed? and should i worry about my TPS ? what to do.... i don't know.... :banghead:

Tried 2 new TPS both with same results, both from NAPA... They are not adjustable like the older style that you could turn to change voltage output. I run lucas injector cleaner every oil change so my i doubt my injectors are clogged

What CEL code ?

OBD-II TPS is not adjustable.

I have a 2000 XJ sport 4.5" lift. I am running stock manifold/converters, with a flowmaster super 40 out back, stage 1 jet chip, poweraid throttle body spacer, rusty's airtube/kn filter, E3 plugs, and a painless hi-velocity 62mm throttle body. I have recently done a tune up and changed out the Idle air control valve, and TPS. After I put the new TPS in, the engine idles very high and my CEL came on. Put the old sensor back in and it runs ok CEL gone. Why would a new sensor cause this problem? Also the reason for the tune up is that recently i feel as though i have lost some HP. I have never changed the injectors, they have 150,000 miles on them. Should they be changed? and should i worry about my TPS ? what to do.... i don't know.... :banghead:

did you reset the computer after the new tps? new electronic rquire a computer reset and a few start ups to relearn.

was tps and IAC the only things you changed when you developed this problem?

loss of HP? is the engine missing or just feels like loss of power under fulll throttle? have you tried a top end cleaning? any soot build up around the tail pipe? did you check the plugs for abnormal wear or color? how about the front 02sensor? has the gas mpg dropped?

Back