• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snow Run.....Providence Canyon

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I was hoping you would make this one Jared, since the ZJ puked coolant at the beginning of the summer run. Teryx sounds fun.......

Yeah, 26" tires and no heater with an open cab sounds awesome. But it is locked front and rear and half the weight of a Jeep. Still debating whether or not I could stay warm enough.

I'll shoot you a text if I head up.

Jared:patriot:

Providence Canyon is known for it's dynamic trail conditions and this rings true today.

We had 5 rigs on the run today:

Oatmeal (Hans) made the trek clear from Cedar City with his wife and dog, leaving his XJ at home but bringing his capable Toyota.
2Flexed (Paul)
G2WANIT (Aaron, with XJess co-pilot)
DeadeyeJ (Jared) left his ZJ home and brought his Teryx side by side rig, which did quite well.
Myself, with my son Mason.

Some of the group struggled on the grade below the quarry, so we double teamed the hill and got everyone up. There was only about a foot of snow at the quarry, but the temps were just right to limit traction.

IMG_7156_zps0f1f2484.jpg

IMG_7158_zps61befaa7.jpg

One rig explored above to test the trail conditions and resorted to winching up a slippery spot in the "luge run".

We assessed the situation and considering that the trail turned from packed snow to ice with every rig that passed over it and knowing the that there were more off-camber sections ahead, decided to abort going any higher for the sake of not wanting to perform a vehicle recovery today.

We played a bit in the quarry, ate some lunch and then hiked to the nearby waterfall for some pics and to chat with a couple of ice climbers.

IMG_7169_zps65e4f0fe.jpg

IMG_7170_zpsa4dea4c6.jpg

IMG_7171_zps0081e6cf.jpg

IMG_7178_zpsa3915a06.jpg

IMG_7192_zpsfd22d91d.jpg

It was fun to get out and play in the snow, unfortunately we weren't able to make it up into the basin where even more fun could be had, but it was good to meet new folks and talk of plans for another PC run in the summer.

I'm thinking a Friday-Saturday adventure starting with an overnighter up Prov Cyn, next morning drop into Logan Cyn, then to Franklin Basin, up over the German Dugway to the Paris Ice Cave and then back to Bear Lake. Mid-July would be perfect.

Oatmeal, lets us know how things shake out with your rear axle noise/leak. I feel bad about not being able to hook you up with a local shop who could assist on a Saturday.

Bummer you guys couldn't make it further than that. This time of year is a crap shoot.

Odd that there would only be a foot up there. When Jerry and I went out on the west desert we had almost twice that much. So much we got stuck pretty good in one spot.

Jerry hoofing my winch cable up to a tree.
11282677964_9b993b9763_c.jpg

To get me out of this mess..
11282722423_e731a68508_c.jpg

11282594335_be5e179dde_c.jpg

We were in deeper snow yet other than the one spot we never had any traction issues. Funny how different areas can be so differently affected.

I noticed yesterday while up your way we got way more snow than you do, so I'm thinking lake effect hit us this time.

Thats a lot more snow than Providence has.....looks like you had a blast! Next snow run needs to be in the West desert.......

It was good meeting all of you, we had a lot of fun.
Unfortunately my bearing got worse and we were forced to take refuge in a motel in town.
The only place that was open that could have pressed a bearing off/on was Les Schwab and their press was down!
So, we're here till Monday if all goes well, that is.
Hans

It was good meeting all of you, we had a lot of fun.
Unfortunately my bearing got worse and we were forced to take refuge in a motel in town.
The only place that was open that could have pressed a bearing off/on was Les Schwab and their press was down!
So, we're here till Monday if all goes well, that is.
Hans

Hans, better than a tow bill and collateral damage to your truck. Good luck on the repair! Hope to see you in Hurricane at WOTR.

Providence Canyon is known for it's dynamic trail conditions and this rings true today.

We had 5 rigs on the run today:

Oatmeal (Hans) made the trek clear from Cedar City with his wife and dog, leaving his XJ at home but bringing his capable Toyota.
2Flexed (Paul)
G2WANIT (Aaron, with XJess co-pilot)
DeadeyeJ (Jared) left his ZJ home and brought his Teryx side by side rig, which did quite well.
Myself, with my son Mason.

Some of the group struggled on the grade below the quarry, so we double teamed the hill and got everyone up. There was only about a foot of snow at the quarry, but the temps were just right to limit traction.

IMG_7156_zps0f1f2484.jpg

IMG_7158_zps61befaa7.jpg

One rig explored above to test the trail conditions and resorted to winching up a slippery spot in the "luge run".

We assessed the situation and considering that the trail turned from packed snow to ice with every rig that passed over it and knowing the that there were more off-camber sections ahead, decided to abort going any higher for the sake of not wanting to perform a vehicle recovery today.

We played a bit in the quarry, ate some lunch and then hiked to the nearby waterfall for some pics and to chat with a couple of ice climbers.

IMG_7169_zps65e4f0fe.jpg

IMG_7170_zpsa4dea4c6.jpg

IMG_7171_zps0081e6cf.jpg

IMG_7178_zpsa3915a06.jpg

IMG_7192_zpsfd22d91d.jpg

It was fun to get out and play in the snow, unfortunately we weren't able to make it up into the basin where even more fun could be had, but it was good to meet new folks and talk of plans for another PC run in the summer.

I'm thinking a Friday-Saturday adventure starting with an overnighter up Prov Cyn, next morning drop into Logan Cyn, then to Franklin Basin, up over the German Dugway to the Paris Ice Cave and then back to Bear Lake. Mid-July would be perfect.

I live right down the street from the Idaho access side of Franklin Basin and the dugway If you guys want to do something like this^ please let me know.Lots of awesome trails trough here.Egan basin is a lot of fun in the snow also.Sorry I could not make the prov run fighting this pile of mine.Almost got it beat.

Well made it home,
The owner of Lindquist Auto Parts was cool enough to let me dismantle my truck in his parking lot so that I could have them press the bearing for me (it was totally obliterated!)
It was cold as hell out there (18*) so I worked like an Indy pit crew and had it done in about a half hour.
Turned into a pretty expensive "day run" for me but all in all, we had a great time!
Hope to do it again sometime..... the wheeling part.
Hans

Back