• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to camshafts

Saudster

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Laredo that I only really use as a toy/annual long-distance road-trip vehicle. I think I really only put somewhere near 1500 miles on it in the year I've owned it. Right now, I'm looking to amp up the power a little bit w/o getting it stroked and bored. I'm looking for a cam that strengthens up the power band all around. Where should I start looking, plus what are the fundamentals to camshafts for timing and duration/what they affect? Also, what other upgrades should I think about on top of what I have?

Here's what I'm running:
62mm throttle body
4 Port injectors
Super 44 muffler
Rough Country 1.5" lift kit
91 Non-ethanol

I use it lightly as an offroader, but I don't plan on going fully into it because I do like having something that at least won't annoy the hell out of my cousins after the first four hours of driving.

This thing is sort of my baby, my dad owned one of these and junked it due to rust when I was still in middle school. I like making it a money pit because it's not my daily. So, as long as we're not talking several thousand per part, I'm all ears.

The basic rule of hot rodding is, you can't get more air in, until you get more exhaust out.

Save the cam for later. Work on the exhaust; mild DIY port matching of the head, header, free flowing cat converter, free flow exhaust. Research and see if you can install the upgraded 97-01 intake manifold.

91 octane is wasting money, use 89.

Here is a website that might interest you:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

I'd also look at Go-Jeeps website.

On my '98 I run a BKK 62 TB, 12 hole injectors, Thorley ceramic coated header, 2.5 catback with magnaflow cat and a 99+ intake. I have not messed with the cam. I did have 4 hole injectors and a 60mm TB.
I would say not to expect a bunch of HP. I'd say 5 to 10 hp. I do notice I get a lot better performance on inclines, ie Mountains. I did not notice any difference between the 60mm and 62mm TB. Well, actually, the 60mm seemed better. The 4 holes on two 98's, I didn't notice any power increase. The motors ran smoother though. The 12 hole for a day or two, ran great. Then the power seemed to decrease back to stock. ???? Also, about the same for my 2000 XJ.
I would look a few pages back and find the header thread.

As for cams, I do have a stroker waiting to be assembled. I went with a Comp Cam from Russ Pottenger. It is nitrided. I think a 268 cam. I plan to have two other cams ground by Luniti. I think they also have a coating for their cams.
I have done the Chevy large valves on a head. I have not run that motor though. I am planning another Chevy large valve head. I am using Sealed Power (stock) springs on this one, and Manley spring reatiners. The Sealed Power springs allow the use of the Manley retainers. Those match the Chevy keepers.
Only other thing you might look into is the fuel pressure regulator. Sine yours in external, you could get an adjustable one. I'd have to find the thread from Mall Krwalwer on that.

The basic rule of hot rodding is, you can't get more air in, until you get more exhaust out.

Save the cam for later. Work on the exhaust; mild DIY port matching of the head, header, free flowing cat converter, free flow exhaust. Research and see if you can install the upgraded 97-01 intake manifold.

91 octane is wasting money, use 89.
I get the 91 octane because some forum posts say that the ethanol based fuels tend to create sitting water in the tank if you don't drive the vehicle much. Is there any merit to those claims or am I just paranoid? I know 91 does next to nothing for performance without higher compression.

That being said, thanks. For exhaust, would any of the "performance" headers be worth it? I know XJ's are prone to manifold cracking. I was thinking of the Bank's header, but if the later model stock manifold works better, I'll probably skip that.

Here is a website that might interest you:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

I'd also look at Go-Jeeps website.

On my '98 I run a BKK 62 TB, 12 hole injectors, Thorley ceramic coated header, 2.5 catback with magnaflow cat and a 99+ intake. I have not messed with the cam. I did have 4 hole injectors and a 60mm TB.
I would say not to expect a bunch of HP. I'd say 5 to 10 hp. I do notice I get a lot better performance on inclines, ie Mountains. I did not notice any difference between the 60mm and 62mm TB. Well, actually, the 60mm seemed better. The 4 holes on two 98's, I didn't notice any power increase. The motors ran smoother though. The 12 hole for a day or two, ran great. Then the power seemed to decrease back to stock. ???? Also, about the same for my 2000 XJ.
I would look a few pages back and find the header thread.

As for cams, I do have a stroker waiting to be assembled. I went with a Comp Cam from Russ Pottenger. It is nitrided. I think a 268 cam. I plan to have two other cams ground by Luniti. I think they also have a coating for their cams.
I have done the Chevy large valves on a head. I have not run that motor though. I am planning another Chevy large valve head. I am using Sealed Power (stock) springs on this one, and Manley spring reatiners. The Sealed Power springs allow the use of the Manley retainers. Those match the Chevy keepers.
Only other thing you might look into is the fuel pressure regulator. Sine yours in external, you could get an adjustable one. I'd have to find the thread from Mall Krwalwer on that.
The 4 ports I have really sped up startups for me, though I'm guessing the old stock injectors were wearing out. Could it be the newer computers on those models that cause the power to revert back, because I notice the difference in acceleration with what I've done so far, which could still be from replacing the old and possibly worn injectors. Super interested how that stroker performs when it's done and running.

I get the 91 octane because some forum posts say that the ethanol based fuels tend to create sitting water in the tank if you don't drive the vehicle much. Is there any merit to those claims or am I just paranoid?

I bought a crashed 98 XJ Cherokee that sat under a tree for two years with no gas cap on. With a fresh battery it fired right up and drove onto the trailer. Once fixed, I drove it to the gas station and topped off the tank.

For exhaust, would any of the "performance" headers be worth it? I know XJ's are prone to manifold cracking. I was thinking of the Bank's header, but if the later model stock manifold works better, I'll probably skip that.

The stock exhaust manifold is restrictive, and the tubes are not balanced. A good quality manifold is worth the money.

The 4 ports I have really sped up startups for me, though I'm guessing the old stock injectors were wearing out. Could it be the newer computers on those models that cause the power to revert back, because I notice the difference in acceleration with what I've done so far, which could still be from replacing the old and possibly worn injectors. Super interested how that stroker performs when it's done and running.

I didn't have power go down with the 4 holes I installed. I installed sets on two 98's. Both ran smoother. I did not notice a MPG nor power increase. I would install them if replacing old injectors though.
The intake/exhaust system is just that a system. So, you might find you have all but one part you have not changed. Then the next change makes some gains. For me it was the 60mm TB. I had the 2.5 exhaust, header, magnaflow cat done. I can't remember if I had it re-geared or not. I was having difficulties on some inclines. The next trip with the 60mm TB, I did not have that issue.
Similar with my 2000. The last I replaced the header with a JBA ceramic coated header. Maybe a bit more pep. Mostly, I noticed a smoother power band. The power came on through the RMPs, instead of at the end. It seemed to shift smoother. Or not downshift or bog down when going up hills.
I'd also want to know what size tires and and what gear ratio you have?

I didn't have power go down with the 4 holes I installed. I installed sets on two 98's. Both ran smoother. I did not notice a MPG nor power increase. I would install them if replacing old injectors though.
The intake/exhaust system is just that a system. So, you might find you have all but one part you have not changed. Then the next change makes some gains. For me it was the 60mm TB. I had the 2.5 exhaust, header, magnaflow cat done. I can't remember if I had it re-geared or not. I was having difficulties on some inclines. The next trip with the 60mm TB, I did not have that issue.
Similar with my 2000. The last I replaced the header with a JBA ceramic coated header. Maybe a bit more pep. Mostly, I noticed a smoother power band. The power came on through the RMPs, instead of at the end. It seemed to shift smoother. Or not downshift or bog down when going up hills.
I'd also want to know what size tires and and what gear ratio you have?
I have stock 15” wheels with larger 235/75’s. Stock 8.25 with 3.07 diff. Should probably change out the rear ratio at some point.

I have stock 15” wheels with larger 235/75’s. Stock 8.25 with 3.07 diff. Should probably change out the rear ratio at some point.

So a manual.?? That changes what gears you should get. The 3.07 is the stock gear for the manual and should be Ok for the 235/75's. Possibly a touch slow as geared for mileage. If you go with 31" tires, then a 3.55 would be good. Also, possibly a bit more 'umph' or drivability. So, the gears on a stock Auto XJ would bolt right in. I'd go with a latter say 97+ 8.25 as its a bit stronger than the earlier ones. The spline count is a bit higher. Maybe add the KJ disc brakes.

Back