• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Brands

I did a fair amount of digging on this awhile back. The thing to know with these brands is almost all of them are rebranded from the manufacturer, almost all of which are offshore.

I was seeing that Yukon's quality has slipped a bit from their previous position on top. Not because they are doing anything wrong, just that they are sourcing from multiple places that have varying amounts of consistency/quality control. Its not just Yukon either. Its most gear distributors.

USA Standard are Yukon gears (rebranded mystery manufacturer) which either do not conform to Yukon's quality standard, or they do not go through the same quality checks. I don't know which.

US Gear (not USA Standard) was the only manufacturer I found in the United States. Unfortunately, they don't offer much for our applications.

In my reading, I decided Revolution was a winner. They come exclusively out of South Korea, which seemed to have a good track record of quality gears.

One brand I saw to stay away from was actually Dana Spicer's aftermarket line of gearsets. Apparently not nearly the quality of the OEM sets, and the price reflects that.

If you really want to do some digging, look into manufacturers, not the distributors. Other than that, buy the set with the best warranty and/or whichever your gear installer recommends, because they'll all likely be okay.

Also everything I just said I pulled from the depths of my brain after cramming information down there many months ago. Please don't ask me to cite my sources because I can't. Feel free to disregard everything I'm saying :D

If I do a gear swap it will be into my new - moving to the dark side - LJ Rubicon. Keeping the XJ at least for now. It's doing better than ever and had it out a lot.

Nice as is but lots of mods in mind (tasteful).

'06 LJ Rubicon 6spd/NP241.

Been a member here for many years and can't post pictures/attachments.. again

Back