• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt On Alternator Upgrade

TuPapi2297

NAXJA Forum User
Hi does anyone know if a kit exists in order to upgrade the alternator on my '99 Cherokee. I seen the 160 amp upgrade online from a Durango, but that requires grinding. I'm sadly not used to power tools. Thanks

You're gonna need to be comfortable with more than power tools to safely move up to a 160 amp alternator. You also need to upgrade all of the main wires between the alternator, battery, starter, and grounds.

If you're comfortable adding high amperage accessories, you will have no problem grinding the bracket to fit. Watch some Youtube videos and practice on some scrap to get the hang of it. Yes, grinders are dangerous when not respected, but they can be used safely with proper PPE and technique.

If your going to do it your self , grind the bracket and not the alternator I have seen on youtube were some one was grinding the alternator to fit , and you will need to upgrade the wiring to the alternator and you should upgrade all power and ground wiring for the battery . there are places that sell new heavy duty wiring for that .

Back