• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start just got worse

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so for a while I have had a crank/no start condition, left it alone for a couple of days, hooked up some jumper cables and.....nothing:banghead: although my oil pressure gauge is somewhere near 200 and my gas gauge has never been that full:bawl: any idea? have I fried the computer?

doug

96 xj sport 5sp

pull the alternator and have it tested. when alt. went out, my jeep wouldnt even run off of jumper cables

Alternator is fine, had it checked not too long ago, problem is I haven't had it running to charge the battery at all

have you checked your starter? try jumping the terminals on the starter and see if it will start. when my starter went bad, it simply wouldn't crank at all. I cleaned up the connections and it would start if I jumped the terminals. then it stopped working completely again. Had to get a new one.

Otherwise, check all of your relays and fuses.

checked all my fuses and relays before cranking today, what would make my oil and gas gauge bury themselves on the right, the battery was reading 14v

Back to the basics for any no-start. You need to determine what you're missing when it doesn't fire. Spark or fuel? Couple of quick and dirty things to help in that determination...

Spray some starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs momentarily, your problem is fuel delivery, not spark.

For spark, pull a spark plug and wire; place the spark plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you look for spark. You want a strong, snapping, blue spark. Orange/yellow means weak spark and may not be enough to start the engine.

already checked all that, in fact I put a small blast of starting fluid in the TB and came up with my latest problem, I have gas and spark, er HAD gas and spark before this latest development and I have replaced every corresponding startup part within 5k miles, starting to think I fried my computer, fuel and oil gauges are pinned to the right now :explosion

doug

so I charged the battery at work, got it tested at napa on the way home, pop it in and all the dash and headlights work, fuel pump primes but when I turn the key........nothing, not even a click. anyone?

that's what I am going to do next, but it's butt ass cold out, any suggestions that I can do while looking out the window at it?
:dunno:

Take a jumper cable directly to the starter. If nothing happens pull the starter and test it directly to the battery with cables. 2000's have a fuse and a relay in the box under the hood that get power to the starter. Check those (assumnng you have them). Check fuse, swap relays.

I have been reading the FSM, I can just lay a fat screwdriver across the contacts to jump the starter right? It had been giving me intermittent problems for the past year, does the key have to be turned or no? I had asked in my local club if a starter can turn but not well enough to engage the engine and they all said no (a few are master techs) but on this forum some people say yes, I'll prob be getting a new one anyways

I have been reading the FSM, I can just lay a fat screwdriver across the contacts to jump the starter right? It had been giving me intermittent problems for the past year, does the key have to be turned or no? I had asked in my local club if a starter can turn but not well enough to engage the engine and they all said no (a few are master techs) but on this forum some people say yes, I'll prob be getting a new one anyways

Hallo. The trick with the screwdriver will only spin your startermotor.
Check your startermotor, with using a jumping/bridge wire between pin#30 and #87 of the starterrelay. (test is for the fuses,ignitionswitch,starterrelay,cables and NSS.) The plunjer will be engaged and the solenoid will switch. And if all your groundcables are OK and your battery is OK: the motor will start.
If not , it has something to do with the fueldelivery or spark. :roflmao: Diagram pic:

p.s. key turn:yes

Last edited:
No bad answers above, but for quick and dirty, yes you can put the screwdriver across the starter terminals. If it turns over, you are back to hoppenbrouwers plan anyway. To jump starter, key doesn't matter. But motor won't start, this is just to see if starter spins. It's probably safer anyway if it doesn't start while you're under it. If it doesn't crank, pull the starter. Many people have said to beat on it with a hammer and it may start a few more times.

Back