• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Question

biggene

NAXJA Forum User
Ok all. I have a 92 Cherokee stock motor and tranny and I want to know if this is ok to tow a horse trailer with, nothing huge, probably 3000 to 4000 lbs total weight. I am planning on adding an aux tranny cooler, but dont know if I need to add anything else or not.Any questions or comments are very, very welcome.

Thanks,
Gene

<grin> Jeepguy97 has the most important thing. </grin>

Put the cooler on BEFORE you start towing.

Secondly, make sure your trailer has brakes. Doesn't matter if they're surge or electric, but your trailer really should have brakes.

Your XJ DOES have a 4.0l, right? 4.0ls with an auto are rated to 5,000 lbs. with a load equalizing hitch, 3,500 lbs without.

S/B no problem.

Biggene, I towed my 19' boat/trailer with my XJ at about 3200 lbs. It's a '96 country w/factory towing package, 4.0L, etc. It overheated going up to the sierra's, but the outside temp was 102*. On flats, and even up hills before it boiled over, power was not an issue. Have surge brakes on the trailer too and they helped.

towing

I heard that it would burn up the trans or something- not true?
I need to know bc I have an xj, and want to tow one on a trailer. (I have 2, trail rig, dd) So can you do it?
CODEMAN

The XJ will pull 5000 lbs with an upgraded radiator, transmission cooler, synthetic lube in the rear end, trailer brakes, and a weight distributing hitch, but I wouldn't want to do it. In my opinion they are too light and have too short of a wheel base to pull anything that heavy. This is only with the 4.0L and the auto transmission.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question, it wont ruin your transmission.

WD hitch for sure with a horse trailer, almost impossible to load for a lighter tounge weight, the horses seem to have a mind of their own and if they take a step fwd or back the tounge weight changes dramatically.
Mike B.

Back