• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with XJ question

TXTrailHawk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I am looking at using my XJ to tow a 5x8 Uhaul inclosed trailer to haul a couple couches this weekend. Trip will be about 2.5 hours (Fort Worth, TX to East Texas), no major climbs.

My Jeep is a 2000 XJ Sport, 160k on the clock, auto trans. The trailer is 900 lbs empty, so maybe a couple hundred more with the couches. I do not have an aux tranny cooler but my cooling system was just replaced. Jeep is sitting on a 4.5 Rubicon Express lift and 32 inch tires with stock 3.55 gearing.

Should I be ok to tow as is?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Even at 1,500 lbs and 32" tires, you should be just fine. I wouldn't want to tow the full 5,000 lbs the XJ is rated for with stock gears & 32s (especially without an aux. cooler) but a couple couches? No sweat.

What Gordo said, though. I'd leave it in the 3 position (torque converter will lockup in 3rd, if you're in 3) and cruise at 60 mph or 2700 rpm's, whichever you hit first.

If the trailer does not have brakes be sure to test your braking with that setup before you actually get in a situation where you need them. With stock brakes (if that is what you have), 32 inch tires, and a trailer you will need additional stopping length.

If the trailer does not have brakes be sure to test your braking with that setup before you actually get in a situation where you need them. With stock brakes (if that is what you have), 32 inch tires, and a trailer you will need additional stopping length.

Good Point. I will be sure to test it out.

You will be fine, like everyone said give yourself twice as much room to brake...maybe 3x. My trailer weighs 1200 by itself and it pulls fine if I stay out of OD.

TXTrailhawk,
good luck with the move. I'm in Tyler if you want to hit Barnwell sometime

33s with 3.55 and a lot more weight and it handled it fine. Braking sorta sucked since the trailers brakes were not working right. If you have an auto I would recommend a transmission cooler.

towing_zpsrkoozp80.jpg

:edit: on second thought I might have had 4.10 gears then.

I towed a u haul car trailer with a 77 mgb 3 hours. I would just shift down out of drive on uphill grades and what not. The next day I towed a 89 mj with same trailer. Now the mj was a lot heavier or at least it felt like it. Any how I did not have any problems what so ever.

I just towed one of their 5x10 enclosed trailers a week ago to go pick up some new furniture for the house. Solid trailers wish I could pick one up. Most UHaul trailers have surge brakes installed. These are the ones that are integrated with the tongue and active based on the trailer pushing forward on the hitch ball. They actually work pretty good.

Anyway as the above replies suggest when loaded leave it in "3". I kept my speed at 60 the whole time and the Jeep had no issues even on a long uphill grade to get out of Lakeside, Ca on the 52 to the I-15.

Empty you should have no issue towing in OD on level ground. Drop to 3 for uphill climbs.

For reference my Jeep has the "tow package" which includes the trans cooler.

Back