• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 XJ power steering reservoir leak

Overland

NAXJA Forum User
Where do I find a replacement reservoir? The one on my 96 XJ four cylinder is covered in cracked putty where the lines plug in underneath. I poured fluid in it, but it all found its way to the inner fender, and uh, everything else.

I would think a lot of people have had this problem, and there must be an easy fix, but I couldn't find anything online other than expensive aftermarket stuff. Oh yeah, and that you can swap the pump from a 4.0 XJ on to a 2.5 YJ. They have that same little remote bottle. Well, I just happened to have a closed system sitting around from an 89 Limited. While it's not preferred, it works just fine. I would rather have used a late model pump and reservoir, but that would have required finding one in the junkyards. An older pump mounts just fine after you drill the top and bottom holes to 5/16", and use one of the short Renix bolts in the center on the front bracket. I also opted for the late model pulley because holes. It helps to have a pulley remover/installer. The lines from the 4.0 setup fit perfectly with plenty of slack.

So now there's a nice, compact pump and reservoir on the front of my 2.5, with a nice, empty space where the old leaking bottle used to be. Many rude gestures were made and profanities uttered towards the old pump and reservoir in its new home on the ground. Pictures to come.

0426151508.jpg

The old system.

0426151535.jpg

Drilled to 5/16". Leave the middle one for the front bracket.

0426151645.jpg

Here's the end result. It made all kinds of noise, shot fluid from the vent when I shut it off, then worked fine after installing the vent hose to prevent future spray. Note the open space next to the air filter housing where the the old reservoir used to be.

Last edited:
There's also a good chance you could simply clip the reservoir on in place of the suction tube using the 4.0 reservoir hardware, but I wanted to wheel that afternoon instead of bothering with particulars.

Back