• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor removal help

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj with 4 O2 sensors. two pre cat came out easy. two postcat won't budge, any tricks to get the out. I was trying a quality O2 sensor socket. no luck. sprayed with pb blaster then it got dark. was thinking maybe get exhaust hot then trying. ANY idea or tricks would be great. TIA

Heat her up red hot. Get the socket on fast and turn. Also try a 7/8" 12 point wrench with another wrench linked to another wrench for more leverage.

Heat, penetrating oil, and a snug fitting box end wrench. Or, you can ask bimmerjeeper how to fix it.

yep, heat. drive it around and get it good and hot, park it, and jump under there and try to crack it loose without burning the hell out of youself. then let it cool down and take it the rest of the way out. 90% of the time it works every time :wierd:

Use a 6 point socket, a 12 point is just gonna make you hate your life.

If they are that solidly seized you are probably screwed either way, there isn't going to be much left when you unthread the sensors, or more likely rip all the threads out of either the bung or the sensor. You own a welder, right? Buy a new bung for $5 at the parts store, grind the welds out, rip the old bungs off, weld new ones on and you are golden.

edit: if you want to use an O2 sensor socket, put a good hoseclamp around it after putting it on the sensor and snug it down, it'll keep the socket from spreading open and rounding the sensor off.

edit: if you want to use an O2 sensor socket, put a good hoseclamp around it after putting it on the sensor and snug it down, it'll keep the socket from spreading open and rounding the sensor off.

this is an excellent tip, and I wish they just came with one when you buy it. working at NAPA i've had so many of those things come back cracked, learned the hose clamp trick from on old guy that just happened to be in there when we had someone returning one.

my brother brought me 7 different 7/8" wrenches yesterday to try. gonna try the flare nut wrench and heat first. raining like a mofo now and no garage means it will have to what until tomorrow.

I wouldn't even try anything with an opening. As Ken said, you will just hate yourself when you round off the points.

Cut the darn wires off, heat the bung with a torch and cool with PB-Blaster.
Do that a few times, then let it cool while hitting it PB-Blaster.

Then as others have said, get out the appropriate sized 6pt socket and got at it.

Back