• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ AW4 acting weird

BlueWeasel

NAXJA Forum User
So I went up to the mountains this morning and hit some snowy trails, got stuck a few times, and headed back to the main road after about an hour. Got on the dirt and shifted back to 2hi and take off.....slowly, Seems first gear is missing. So I take it easy back to town and notice also that 4th gear is gone. Take it to the carwash all depressed and everything and completely wash top to bottom and up underneath really good. Take off from the carwash and everything is back to normal! WTF???? Fluid is fine, and everything looks normal, what happened?

Its a 1993 XJ 4.0 with an AW4.

Remove and clean your tps.. test it. reinstall if good. Maybe check codes..

Maybe something under the vehicle got snow/water (same stuff, different "states") into it--like somebodies NSS and or wiring harness down by the trans? The NSS has more jobs than just keeping the engine from cranking over in gear, and the connections in the harness from the TCU to the solenoids may have been effected.

Maybe something under the vehicle got snow/water (same stuff, different "states") into it--like somebodies NSS and or wiring harness down by the trans? The NSS has more jobs than just keeping the engine from cranking over in gear, and the connections in the harness from the TCU to the solenoids may have been effected.

Could be the wiring harness, I've just never heard of this happening to anyone. Last time I lost first gear in an auto...it didn't come back. Is there any shift linkage on an AW4 or is it electronically controlled?

Forgot I did a T/C drop last week, wonder if that is affecting something on the trans?

Usually the problem you will encounter with a t/case drop is it popping out of 4lo.

Everybody forgets to modify the t/case linkage--the torque bar runs between the body and the t/case--so that things get bound up, throw in a little flex--BINGO!

Back