• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 jeep won't start - starter jut clicks

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
need help ASAP 98 jeep won't start - starter just clicks, ok here goes - I try and start the TJ today no luck - put the key in and go to turn it over nada just rapid clicking - I t figure the starter is goofed up - I replace it - same thing - starter relay swapped - same thing...

any guru's figure this one out?

Rapid clicking is usually low voltage, either from a bad battery or from loose/damaged/corroded wires/connectors.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body.

I put on the trickle charger last night and we'll see how it does today - if no good I have a spare odyssey redtop sitting in the garage... will advise

yep, it was the battery... swapped out the old DieHard for the Optima red top and whoooooooooohoooooooooo she's alive
thanks to everyone for the quick help :worship:

Last edited:
Back