• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0443 EVAP Purge Solenoid Circuit Fault

shark0302

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had this code pop on a 2001 xj?

Also where is the purge Solenoid. Is it on the passenger side fire wall? If so would a ticking nosie from it be a sign that it's on it's way out?

P0443 (M) Evap Purge Solenoid Circuit. An open circuit or short condition detected in the EVAP purge solenoid control circuit.

The Evap Purge Solenoid is one the firewall.

standard.jpg

My '01 has started throwing the P0443 code today. I searched first which is why this 9 year old thread is back.

As far as I know, one of the solenoid pins is connected to a 12v ignition switch controlled supply via fuse 10 in the kick panel junction box, possibly a white wire. The other pin is connected to the PCM which grounds it every 5 to 10 seconds.

I have checked the solenoid resistance, it is 35 Ohms. The acceptable range is 30-40 Ohms so the solenoid appears to be OK.

The voltage across the harness conductors with the ignition on is 7 volts. FSM says it should be at least 10 volts. Identifying the source of the voltage drop is the problem to resolve.

Any advice on what else I need to do/check?

1. Spray contact cleaner in the plug and socket
2. Physically check the wiring for damage (wires into the plug looked strained)
3. Check wiring termination at fuse 10

I am going to order a new plug and a new solenoid. I will extend the harness about 3" to give it some slack at the plug. The Jeep was dealer maintained prior to my ownership so perhaps this plug has been changed in the past.

I have to get this fixed before January. It won't pass the annual safety inspection with CEL illuminated.

Mine was an easy fix. I disconnected and reconnected the downstream oxygen sensor a few times while I was working on the exhaust and when I put it back together the CEL had cleared. I haven't checked the voltage on the harness yet but I reckon it was a tarnished oxygen sensor socket in the vehicle harness.

Back