• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much slop in 231j rear ouput shaft?

bpatto10

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

1996 Jeep XJ, 231J transfer case, 8.25 rear axle, While testing various things in search of a whine noise, I noticed a little slop up and down in my transfer case rear output shaft. It feels like maybe 1/16", hard to tell exactly. I don't feel any slop while pushing the shaft in or out. I have seen several threads about rear output shaft bearings going bad (and even snap rings breaking). Some of these threads have indicated there should be no movement at all. I checked the transfer case fluid and there was nothing usual.

The only thing I can find that might be abnormal is this slop. At first I thought it was a worn slip yoke, but after removing the rear driveshaft and testing it again, it was obvious it was the output shaft.

Is it the early tcase design (slip yoke inside an extended tail housing), or the later one (external slip yoke)? 96s are all over the map on stuff like this.

If it's the earlier type, it might be the big bushing inside the tail housing extension, but that's just a wild guess.

Yes, you first have to tell if it is stock and what year!

Yes, you first have to tell if it is stock and what year!

It is a 1996 Jeep XJ, as stated in the first sentence of the posting. All stock. The 231J transfer case has a external slip yoke which does not extend into the transfer case. It has a output bearing in the rear external housing with a snap ring and rubber shaft seal.

I will try to find a picture and post it.

Thanks,
Bruce

There should be no discernible up/down/side/side play in the output shaft on the style you have. 0n the earlier models where the seal rides on the OD of the yoke, you'd need to have the yoke in place to do the test. The rear output bearing needs replaced,

On the topic, I’m half way through a project to remove and replace the rear output shaft housing on my Advance Adapters SYE on my NP231 (’98 XJ). I noticed that after installing the new housing, and before putting the yoke back on that the shaft itself is able to move in and out slightly by moving it with my hand. I don’t recall it having that much movement when I pulled the yoke off in the beginning of the project. Is this movement normal before putting the yoke back on? This is my first time removing the yoke and housing. As I’m analyzing things, I think, that once I reattach the yoke with the 1 1/8” flange nut, that it will snug up against the bearing and thus secure the shaft from in and out movement. Does this sound right?

Back