• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering reservoir leak, oring?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
well the stock steering pump is leaking finally (270,000), I cant complain I suppose. It looks to be from where the reservoir mates to the pump. This seems like a a big pia for stopping the leak or getting another o ring/ reservoir/ new pump that wont leak.

I'm thinking of trying that lucas steering stop leak that has some good reviews. Does anyone advise against this, I dont want to muck up the steering system?

If you guys have fixed this what did you do?

never mind, I tried Lucas before a long trip today. I followed freeriders thread on this and he tried dang near all other options so ill see what happens.
any moderator feel free to delete this thread.

They way I got mine to seal was clean up both surfaces real good, re use the old orings and smear the whole mating surface with right stuff gasket maker. I use that crap on everything, its expensive but there isn't a single gasket or oring seal on my xj that leaks a drop!

it is an easy job to replace the seal, remove the pump, disconnect reservoir, replace seal, put pump back.

do it right, if it fails on you, you loose fluid, your pump fries from lack of fluid, sending metal into gear box, then you got to replace EVERYTHING!

I'm not intimidated on the job of replacing the seal, Ive just read a lot of issues with this replacement, and/or the replacement of a new unit, still leaking. Ide like nothing more than to simply replace this o ring and have it work, so many folks reporting otherwise had me try the lucas. I think the lucas actually worked because I don't see any fresh drips on the ground. If it starts up again I will pull the pump and try the right stuff suggestion.
Black1990 have you done this fix successfully?

It has been a couple years since I replaced the O-ring on mine and it has remained leak free since then.

I'm not intimidated on the job of replacing the seal, Ive just read a lot of issues with this replacement, and/or the replacement of a new unit, still leaking. Ide like nothing more than to simply replace this o ring and have it work, so many folks reporting otherwise had me try the lucas. I think the lucas actually worked because I don't see any fresh drips on the ground. If it starts up again I will pull the pump and try the right stuff suggestion.
Black1990 have you done this fix successfully?

Yes. Several times I have installed the Oring, never leaked on me. I have gone thru a few pumps, but the Oring replacement went fine every time.

I just wanted to added I don't have the o ring yet and its pissed. Fluid is cavitating and the steering feel is much lighter, obviously not good. I used most of a small bottle of Lucas stop leak which worked for about a week. Anyhow its dripping damn good on the ground when its sitting and not running.

I have these o rings in the mail. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005RUSZ9G/ref=biss_dp_t_asn?tag=jeepforumconvert-20
M3x14 Viton O-Ring, 75A Shore Durometer

Those should be the ticket.

Assuming Amazon can deliver for you. The Bride has a package she has been trying to receive for several days now. It keeps being "out for delivery" yet never arrives. I think the delivery system is seriously swamped.

Xj driving Mailman here, and yes the system is completely overloaded. Carriers are quitting everyday and its only going to get worse. For the record after I used the right stuff to seal the reservoir, the hoses and sector started leaking so I dumped the whole system and put in a manual steering sector out of a DJ5. Steering effort is much higher but I dont have to deal with fluid and I gained 2 mpg.

Back