• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum gauge/MAP vacuum leak

GregGA

87 Laredo Galloping Ghost
I have had a vacuum gauge installed for a long time in my Jeep. I mainly use it get better mileage, kind of like a reverse tach:).

When I recently installed my transmission cooler, I pulled the front bumper, and also disconnected the vacuum lines to the "football". So happens my wife's Honda was in the shop, and I had to take her to work. My MAP vacuum line no longer runs from my Leigh throttle body, but from the line off the intake manifold (which then goes to the football).
I new there would be some effect with the unplugged lines: rougher idle at start up, but off I went. Picked her up that night, and took her to get the car the next day.

My vacuum normally reads about 15 at idle. With the lines off, about 10" hg.

Now here's the point of all this: driving about 35 miles with a vacuum leak to the MAP dropped my mileage from about 15-16 mpg to a crappy 10.2 mpg. It was very enlightening and I'm glad I had the vacuum gauge so I didn't wig out about the mileage drop.

Your MAP needs a dedicated vacuum source.

I remove the IAT from the intake manifold, relocate it to the air cleaner, and use a fitting in it's place for a vacuum source to the MAP.

Your MAP needs a dedicated vacuum source.

I remove the IAT from the intake manifold, relocate it to the air cleaner, and use a fitting in it's place for a vacuum source to the MAP.

Walk grass hopper through this please cruiser:) IAT?

Do you want the MAP ONLY, to the intake manifold fitting? Then run another line(football etc) to the air cleaner?

As always, thank you Cruiser!

Remove the Intake Air temp sensor. Install a vacuum fitting in it's place. Take a piece of plastic line with vacuum hose on each end and form it to fit on to both the fitting and the MAP fitting.

Remove the throttle body and tap the hole for the old vac line to 1/8" NPT thread and put a plug in it.

Ah so. Grass hopper got it. Moving IAT to airbox might help power with a lower temp? Elaborate if you wish:). Thanks C54

Remove the Intake Air temp sensor. Install a vacuum fitting in it's place. Take a piece of plastic line with vacuum hose on each end and form it to fit on to both the fitting and the MAP fitting.

Remove the throttle body and tap the hole for the old vac line to 1/8" NPT thread and put a plug in it.

Do you have pictures of this setup?

I'm curious about that also. But, the vac line going into the TB ends up in the intake manifold anyway..

It might read a bit different as far as TB Map source VS manifold Map source due to a venturi at the throttle body. IIRC one mod for running a cam that doesn't play will with the PCM is to relocate the MAP source. But I can't remember to where and on what Jeep model/engine.

As for the the vacuum reservoir/ football removal make sure the lines are plugged well.

Any favorite spot on the airbox to mount it?

I know my IAT works now, so I'm going to get GM 25036751 WITH pig tail and mount that in the air box. It's a different size than OEM, so it's a good candidate for the airbox. I'll keep OEM for a spare.

Any favorite spot on the airbox to mount it?

I know my IAT works now, so I'm going to get GM 25036751 WITH pig tail and mount that in the air box. It's a different size than OEM, so it's a good candidate for the airbox. I'll keep OEM for a spare.

Passenger side rear of air cleaner cover.

Back