NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 28th, 2010, 12:09
NAXJA Member

AW4 gear selection - 2nd gear?

Hey guys,

I've noticed something peculiar about the AW4 in my 2001 XJ... For some reason, when in the "1-2" position, it will *NEVER* go into 2nd gear. I've taken it to redline in first, as the manual implies that it will shift automatically to 2nd "as needed", however, it never shifted into 2nd. I've tried to drop it into the "1-2" position from 3 (drive) at about 35 MPH, and it dropped all the way to first gear which has made me reluctant to try again at a higher speed.

Anyone have any tips on this? On many grades, 2nd gear would be extremely nice to be able to use as first is too low and third/drive is too high.

Campbell
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:25
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: AW4 gear selection - 2nd gear?

It *should* go into 2nd at 3500 or 4500rpm, I forget which.

I would suggest a Montana Fab 2nd gear override switch kit, since you have a late model you'll get a check engine light otherwise.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old July 28th, 2010, 13:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
It *should* go into 2nd at 3500 or 4500rpm, I forget which.

I would suggest a Montana Fab 2nd gear override switch kit, since you have a late model you'll get a check engine light otherwise.
Agree, thinking 4500 rpm, and the Montana Fab is the only one that doesn't throw a code to my knowledge.
Old July 28th, 2010, 18:35
NAXJA Member

Perfect, looks like a good solution. Thanks for the input guys!
Old July 28th, 2010, 19:19
NAXJA Forum User

The Montana Fab unit is great for long steep grades.
Here's my install thread, although my install is a little out of date. XJMike appended his install to this thread on page 3, post 42. He got the newer style unit.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1010278

Might want to check out your transmission before getting the controller though. While it does rev pretty high, it should eventually shift into 2nd gear(consensus seems to be 40000-4500RPM) In my own experience, if you manually shift to 2nd, it should drop to second, then downshift to 1st between 20-25 mph.

What's that stupid cable adjustment next to the TB that can cause the trans to act funky if it's set wrong? Somebody remember the name of it for me, and if it affects the 1-2 shift?
Old July 28th, 2010, 19:32
NAXJA Forum User

I believe that's the detent cable on the TB. I would adjust that and try again before adding any switches -- although having it switched will be nice.
Old July 28th, 2010, 21:00
NAXJA Forum User

The throttle pressure cable: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963
Old July 28th, 2010, 21:11
Piece of Fish!

x2 with Joe. And around 45 or so, especially because of the computer limiting the rpm's Should be alright shifting into the 1-2 selection and getting 2nd gear. Another thing you may want to do. Is get codes read and see if there is anything there, that for some reason may not trip the CEL. Maybe your TCU is fubar'd enough that 2nd gear is never there.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:45
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the input. I did a quick test yesterday and did confirm the tranny will hit 2nd once I hit 4500 RPM, so it is working properly (I was apparently impatient last time I tried and gave up around 4k). Since I'd never gotten it into 2nd before, I've been wary of downshifting from 3rd but I'll do some testing.

At least I know it's working as intended, and that the override kit may be the most ideal solution. Next time I'm on a long grade, I'll be sure to push the engine to 4500 RPM and let it settle into 2nd. Thanks again!