• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble keeping it running

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 92 jeep cherokee (4.0ltr I-6 aw4) for a drive the other day and it stalled on the way home, got it started again, then it stalled after i traveled about 2 feet. I got it towed home and there was no spark so i saw that the ballast resistor was split in half right below the bolt. Replaced that now i get spark, however it has a hard time starting and idles so rough the engine shakes when i do get it started and if i dont keep my foot on the gas it will stall. Checked the distributor cap and its clean as a whistle. Not sure what else to check. Also when it ran for a couple seconds but rough i could smell what seemed to be un-burnt fuel. I went outside and got code 41 with the check engine light trick. Not sure what else to check. Could it be that my fuel filter clogged, or even my injectors clogged? The jeep has sat for awhile and the tank was on E so i put $10 worth in if it helps to figure out whats wrong. Thanks in advance.

Code 41 is an alternator malfunction. If 41 is really the code you got, you might want to check this out. How's the battery? Did you need to jump it? Chrysler electronics run like crap if the battery is bad, or the alternator isn't working right. A good start would be to make sure your battery connections are good, and check plug connectors at the alternator. Perhaps something corroded while it sat.

MudslinginXJ said:
I didn't need a jump but i noticed the serpentine belt is loose, would that have an effect and cause the computer to spit this code?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but I'd still check the connections too, and perhaps get a voltmeter on it. The problems I've seen have often been with dead batteries after a boost. Because the battery doesn't filter the alternator output properly, the high spiky voltage causes the computer to malfunction.

Well i tightened the belt that didn't help anything. Is there a possibility that i plugged the ballaster resistor in wrong and messed it up? The verdict now is that its not getting any spark, i did the diagnostic engine light code and it read 11 once again as well as 41. I haven't disconnected the battery at all the past couple days, so im not sure whats going on with that. Also is there a fuse or relay that could of went bad and cause the no spark?

Starting to get frustrated :repair:. Couple questions as well as the ones in the reply above. Could driving the jeep without a Crank Case Ventilation Tube hurt anything and cause it to act the way it is? Also i noticed on my fuel injectors, on some of them the boot is ripped that i guess holds the wires to tell the injectors when to spray. Not sure if this is a big problem, but if it is, i would like to get it taken care of.

well you said your still not getting spark so i think thats what you have to address as you said your smelling unburnt fuel when turn it over. theres a number of things that can give your no spark: fauled plugs because you flooded it, bad plug wires? bad coil to cap wire? bad coil? you said everything looked fine inside the distributor cap so... a problem with the cps or cam sensor will also give you no spark, maybe a map sensor problem too like a vaccum leak? i dunno maybe someone else can give you some more help.

eric

question 1 no... just makes more blow by get into the air cleaner
2; boots.. not a big deal unless the terminals are corroding...squirt some dielectric grease in there.

not starting...
1. the ballast resistor is for the fuel pump..not the ignition.

2. if there is no spark, then it might be the CPS... did you check it? if not, DO A SEARCH.. there are a lot threads on no starts and CPS for the 4.0

3. is it getting enough fuel pressure... the symptoms you describe suggest a fuel pump that has low pressure.

beyond that, if you are unsure, take it to a shop

Checked last night before it got dark and there was no spark at the coil. Ran a test light for it to determine that. Im pretty sure its getting enough fuel b/c there is pressure to the fuel rail and i can hear the fuel pump running when i turn the key on. I haven't checked the Crankshaft Position Sensor yet, i have to figure out how, although i should just spend the money on it since it probably needs replaced anyway. Would the Crankshaft Position Sensor not allow spark at the coil? Anything else you can think of so i can try and get this beast running?

if you have a problem with the cps it will not allow a spark because it can't recognize any sort of timing. make sure your connection at the plug is'nt corroded or loose at all, i once had to wrap my plug with electrical tape to keep it tight or the connection would fail. you can determine is if the cps is good or bad by reading it with a meter but i dont' know the numbers, maybe someone else could help here. maybe the coil itself is bad, you need to go over everthing that can cause no spark and you'll fix the problem

eric

There are four basic things that can cause a no spark situation. The most common is the CPS, tied for 2nd and 3rd are the cam shaft position sensor in the distributor and the coil assy. The last thing would be wiring.

As for the CPS, corrosion in the connector is pretty common, so plugging and unplugging it a couple of times will sometimes help.

A low battery or a battery with a shorted cell will cause the engine to either run crappy or not at all, but if that were the case, it probably wouldn't crank over anyway.

Ok. I tried unplugged the cps connector but for some reason it wont come apart. I traced the wire from the sensor to what seems to be the plug before it goes into the wiring harness and it doesn't seem to want to come apart.

Another thing is i Noticed today when i got home from school, after letting it sit for a night i went out and cranked it over it seemed like it was going to start so i quit turning the key and after that it wouldn't start again. Not sure if you would be able to say "Yep thats definetly the CPS" or not but hey, if it helps i'll be happy.

This is weird. I let it sit for 2 days without doing anything and i go out and check and it fires right up, idle's nice, just after awhile it will start to stumble and stall or it will stall if i go about 1/4-1/2 throttle. What could it be?

Might be a bad fuel pump..... Try pulling off the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator, (plug the hose) and see if that changes anything.

Also check for raw fuel in the FPR vacuum line.

Back