• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing adhesive from paint.

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to paint my XJ and I removed all the pinstriping by heating it up and peeling it off. The spots where I peeled it off the adhesive came with it but there were other spots where the pinstripping had blown off with a pressure washer and left the sticky tape behind. How the heck do you get this stuff off? I have tried goo-gone so far and it does nothing, any ideas? Messing up the paint does not matter because I am going to re-paint, what do you think would work?

Any of the above method and/or lighter fluid and a rag also works.

By the way they make a tool for that job. It goes in your drill and looks like a big eraser. It spins and removes stripes, 3M tape whatever and wont hurt the paint. FYI

luv2offroad said:
Goo Gone is what I've used.

X2... that stuff works great! strong odor though....

strong odor?? goo gone smells good. it has that citrus scent.

i guess you could always use some sandpaper if you dont care about the paint...and if you're gonna repaint anyways.. but i'd try the other ways first.

WOW, my girlfriend has some of that Avon's skin soft and it worked pretty damn good at removing the adhesive. It was also the one and only time she let me touch her after working on my Jeep without washing my hands. Great advice!

Goof Off was the trick. It removed it quite easily, some panals it came off right away and others took a little bit of work. It smelled pretty strong and I think I might be high but it worked better than anything else. Goo Gone just wouldn't get the tough spots off but it sure smelled better!

Back