• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolent temp sender

XJ97

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 97 XJ and want to run an aftermarket temp gauge. Need to know where the sender for the light is, all I can find is the one for the computer that is it the thermostat housing. Thanks....Jason

You may not have one.The change took place between the 96 and 98 model years.
Early motors have a sensor located in the top of the head near the firewall,on the drivers side,beside the valve cover.
From 98 on the sensor in the thermostat housing supplys the data to the computor which supplys the guage.
I know the 96 has it in the head and the 98 is in the t-stat housing as I have one of each but the 97 could be either.

Wayne

I think the easiest/cheapest thing to do is just swap the whole gauge cluster for a full gauge unit w/ tach, oil and temp, its been done by alot of people including myself and is generally thought of as very plug and play swap. Lots of info about it is posted on these boards.

I will be doing a gauge cluster swap on my 96 this weekend.
Gauge Cluster-$39
Oil Pressure Sender-$27
Coolant Temp Sender-$11
Approx. Total = $77

its not the best place but i know the earlier XJ (96 down) have a spot in the radiator that you could put it on the left hand side about half way down.you could also "T" off the factory one.this is not the best thing either.as you want the tip of the probe in the flow or fluid and by "T"ing you are going to be putting one of them out of flow which will result in a false reading

KY-XJ said:
I will be doing a gauge cluster swap on my 96 this weekend.
Gauge Cluster-$39
Oil Pressure Sender-$27
Coolant Temp Sender-$11
Approx. Total = $77

Let me know how that goes, I may just try that.

XJ97 said:
Let me know how that goes, I may just try that.

The difference is that you have a 97 and I have a 96 which means the dashes are totally different. I am not sure on the locations of the senders or if the ones for a 96 will be the same for a 97. Here is a thread talking about the gauge clusters and the computer for 97 and up. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55116&highlight=gauge+cluster Also do a search and you should find any info you want to know.

if you have the newer dash with OBDII you just have to swap the cluster out.the cluster on the newer dash recieves all its info from the computer to the best of my knowledge.

Back