• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

008, A bumper build.

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
I thought id share some pics of a prerunner skid bumper I made recently.
I counted the other day, and this will be my 8th bumper, hence the thread title, I wanted to do stuff differantly on this one, compared to my previous iterations.

The jeep it is going on is a 92 2door, 4.7l russ pottenger equiped prerunner, an aspiring work in progress. This will not be dragged up canyons, and the simplistic mounting points and lack of d-rings acknowledge this. The front frame horns were also previously damaged and repaired subpar by the previous owner, dictating the 4 bolt mounting. I also do not run a swaybar. All welds are done with a lincoln 100hd, flux core, as my larger machine is welding in greener fields now....

I normally dont care for skid plate front bumpers on xj's, but felt forced into it from a design point. The major thing i dislike is the poseur angles many have, due to the front cross member being in the way where it dips down in the middle, so i cut a lot of it out to get the angle i wanted, nice and tight.

On with the pics:
ewibvhy.jpg

r0kNPxN.jpg

dAXcG5x.jpg

54cdPVk.jpg

l3GSld4.jpg

OudHRye.jpg
2TXbTSq.jpg
jqvMmYt.jpg
S7xfnTK.jpg

Finished:
eQag3pZ.jpg

e94LyLl.jpg

PoiyPY7.jpg

BtH0czI.jpg
ps for the record, i know im blocking one of the power steering box bolts... noticed that on final assembly, doh.

Looks good! Love tube bumpers.

That's one of the cleanest, and most tightly tucked one of these that I've seen. Quite impressive.

Do you have any plan to extend to the edges of the fenders, or is that not really necessary for how you will be using the rig?

Nope, wanted to keep it narrow, we'll see if that decision bites me in the ass...

I dont "wheel" the way most around here do.

Looks good Matt.
The simplicity of it gives it a real clean look.
Any thoughts of capping the ends of the tube?

Like nuts for the winter?

Sounds like the dimpled caps arent very popular, ill get rid of them next time the welders out. :thumbup:

I think the dimpled caps are indeed unique, but I would submit that getting into mud, sand, water, salt (I know, SoCal doesn't salt the road in winter) could cause long term rusting as that debris gets inside the tubing.

David Bricker / SYR

Back