• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about engine swaps

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 4.0 is running well so far. My question is when it’s time for a new engine can I put a carbureted 4.2 engine in it. In Mass the Jeep just has to pass safety. Thought it might be easier to work on a non computerized engine. My 89 YJ had some power. Is this a ridiculous swap or should I save up for a stroker engine which I heard is very expensive.

How are you going to get the dashboard to function without a PCM ?

The simplest and lowest cost swap is to replace what you have. Stokers cost can vary based upon the recipe you use. A basic stoker is not much more than a simple rebuild.

Replacing an engine with an earlier engine is in violation of EPA guidelines. As noted above strokers cost is dependent on quality of components. Potentially, you could have just as much in a stock configuration. I'd say 3-5K for a stroker. Some have done budget ones for say $1500.

Back