• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I drive without the front drive shaft for a few days - '89 -?

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited:
yes you can, you just wont have 4 wheel drive.

I blew a rear ujoint and yoke and it was my DD so we removed the rear driveshaft, plugged up the transfer case, and put it in 4 wheel drive and for a few days i had a FWD jeep.

Not axle shaft! Did those a few months ago!

Front Drive Shaft...that short drive shaft that goes from the front differential to the front of the transfer case.

> plugged up the transfer case,

Do I have to plug up anything?

Thanks!

Nope. The front output on the transfer case has a "fixed" yoke (bolted on, like on a SYE kit for the rear output) so it will not leak (unless the seal is going bad...)

I drove one around without a front DS for at least a year, so I'm sure you won't have any trouble...

5-90

I don't think the seal is leaking but it has 196,000 miles on it. Should I replace it anyway since I'm down there?

Thanks for the help!

Johnny V said:
Sorry it wasn't clear. So I should NOT do the seal?

Thanks!

PS 5-90: What's the update on the upgraded headlight harness project?

I see no reason why not, jus letting you know what you're in for...

So far, I've had to keep pushing that project back. I'm in the middle of changing the gearbox in my 88 (again - fifth time. This time, I've got an AX-15 to go in, rather than another damn Peugeot...) and I've been haranguing with the landlord to fix the electrical service to my garage. Since they're coming off with "you're not supposed to have electricity out there (this, despite the new garage door with electric openere, no means to lock, no means to operate from the outside; AND the backyard sprinkler timer being in the garage and wanting electricity - WTF?) I'll probably be moving in the next month or so, so I'm thinking I might have a prototype done next quarter (in between classes...) and might be production-ready sometime around 1Q2007. Yurf. I honestly think if I had four times as many of me around, I'd only be half as far behind as I am right now... November REALLY put me off my stride...

Anyhow, it's still planned, just plans are changing. Damn.

5-90

>I see no reason why not, jus letting you know what you're in for...

Thanks...I'l see how involved I want to get at this time as my next big job on the '89 is replacing the main rear seal...not looking forward to it.

Sorry to hear about all the crap you are going through. Thanks for the updated torque info on your site!

I'd meant to start work on that considerably earlier; but, like most other plans, it can be best described as OBE (Overtaken By Events. Read: Life got in the way.)

I'll probalby have one more big personal fit this summer, and I'll be settled back into classwork, website work, and some personal R&D. I look forward to only thinking I need two or three of me to get everything done again, instead of the six I could really use right now!

That reminds me, where can I go to get a couple of extra arms fitted? Evolving into an upright primate with only two useful upper limbs just isn't doing it - I could use four (better) or maybe six (probably ideal...)

5-90

Back