• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft noise?

theschwarz1

NAXJA Forum User
okay I know I posted this on another thread but I think I need my own thread for this....I apologize ahead of time for those that are reading this twice.....
I am installing a Rusty's 3" AAL lift. I just finished the rear and I took it for a spin with just the rear done and it sounds like I have a bad noise from the drive shaft...sounds like a dull "thog thog thog" in exact proportion to the speed that I am going at. Seems louder when I break also...any ideas???
I got under and wiggeld the front drive shaft and it spun freely a few degress in rotation...is this normal?

Is it bad to drive it with just the rear done? DO you think the nose may go away after the front is done? It made me paranoid so I only drove it like 100yards down the raod and turned around.

Ok, I am an idiot...after I posted I did some more searching and I have come to the conclusion that I should prob drop the T-case...I didn't think I'd need to with just a 3' lift but it seems that may be the prob...will i hurt anyhting much if I drive with this noise till I get the drop kit?

HEHEH I think I am talking to myself here LOL ANyways, how hard is it on a scale of 1-10 to install a YJ yoke...I have heard that this is an option.....no figure in that this lift is the most I have ever done to a vehicle on my own...

Dude its ok to talk to yourself i do it all the time, I hear voices beside you get the answers you want that way

Did you ever install the front lift?

Think about it, if you lifted the rear and not the front, now the t-case output shaft is pointing as the sky and the pinion yoke is pointing straight ahead (unless you shimmed).

Don't do anything until you lift the front to match. Then if you have problems report back.

DIRK< I have heard some say this and then others say that that is totally not true.....that regardless of how high the rear is to the front, the driveline angles are still the same..I was under there trying to picture it all...I am in the midst of lifting the front...I am not doing anything till thats done.....thanks for the input!!

theschwarz1 said:
DIRK< I have heard some say this and then others say that that is totally not true.....that regardless of how high the rear is to the front, the driveline angles are still the same..I was under there trying to picture it all...I am in the midst of lifting the front...I am not doing anything till thats done.....thanks for the input!!

Your driveshaft angle will be only slightly different but the angles of the output shaft relative to the pinion yoke will change significantly.

Proper driveshaft geometry without a dual cardan driveshaft is, t-case output parallel to pinion yoke. This does not mean parallel to the ground as the t-case is not parallel to the ground.

If you are that much higher in the rear your angles are not parallel and your driveshaft is not properly oriented.

It is as simple as that. I really think once you get the front lifted your angles will be much closer and you won't have a problem with this.

BTW, what year is your XJ?

I think once you get the front to match the rear, you will have no problems.

To answer one of your original questions, a YJ yoke is easy to install if you can install a u-joint. If you can install a lift you can install a u-joint.

That's my fiance's ass. :laugh3:

June 25.

Back