• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring FYI

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So I was installing a trailer light controller in my 99 XJ today, which had to be spliced into the harness inside the drivers side quarter panel. I noticed some of the wires in one of the plugs was badly corroded and when I started messing with it they came out of the plug. now my rear wiper hasn't worked for about 2 years and I replaced the motor forever ago, but could never get it to work.
So I cut the plug out and spliced all the wires together with some handy new connectors on amazon that look like a butt connector, but actually solder the wire together and has shrink wrap with heat activated glue in them. and voila my rear wiper works.

so if you made it through my rambling, if your rear wiper doesn't work, or your having weird electrical issues on the rear end of your jeep. take a close look at the wiring harness in the rear quarter panel. mine was by my C pillar (I have a 2 door) you 4dr guys and gals it should be by your D piller tucked into the body.

Found some curious wiring today in the passenger side quarter panel, just come to a white plug clipped to the metal... it didn't have anything hooked to it. anyone know what its for?

In my 98, when I replaced the base model work truck two speaker AM/FM only radio ( not even cassette tape capable ) with an optional Cherokee AM/FM/CD radio and installed a rear speaker headliner, the speaker wire plug was located there. If the rear quarter panel is rusted out, or the side window gasket leaks, corrosion of the wires and wire plugs behind the spare tire is very common.

yeah I had to splice some of the wiring together in the quarter panel together about a year and a half ago, and it got worse due to more rust. dumb question, does your dome light come on when you open your hatch?

The 97-01 dome lights all turn on when the tailgate is open. The cargo area dome lamp assembly has a clicky switch to disable all the dome lamps when the tailgate is open, which is handy to have when camping. Press gently upward on the cargo area dome lamp lens to activate/deactivate.

The cargo area dome lamp assembly is commonly subject to failure. About half the ones I see in the junkyard are shorted/melted/failed. This failure will cause the lamp assembly to stop working, and can cause a fire in the headliner.

IDK, I have only owned 4 door Cherokees. My work truck Cherokee had no cargo area dome lamp, or rear speakers for the AM/FM radio.

Back