• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unibody Rust Repair

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
I have my trailer hitch off right now in order to install a gas tank skid and tie in brackets for the rear bumper I'm making. I was wire wheeling around the rusted areas that the hitch had covered in order to prep for undercoating and found this:

HPIM0081.jpg

HPIM0080.jpg

This is not my DD, it's been recently promoted to trail rig. I work for a mechanical contractor right now and want to drop the tank and weld a patch over it. Do I need to cut out the rust or could I get away with just welding the patch over it? I figured I would make the patch go 90% of the way across the bottom and probably an inch up, centering it over the rust hole and probably 6-8" long with holes for plug welds. How much of a concern is the integerity of the metal around it? It's obviously not ideal, but it felt solid. How thick of material should I make it out of? Obviously at least as thick as the unibody itself, but not too much as then welding will become difficult, which is already going to be a task in such a cramped area. Finally, I would think TIG would be most ideal for this?

If this really belongs in Advance Fab & Engineering, I apologize and feel free to move it. Thanks in advance...

Make a metal taco around the area shown in the top picture. Use some weld through primer if you want to get fancy. Mig should do the job fine.

If this really belongs in Advance Fab & Engineering, I apologize and feel free to move it. Thanks in advance...

Nobody looks at this forum.

OP You need to become a member to post to AdFab. You can more than make up the savings in one year of building.

Back