• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 keyless remote control door lock

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... My new to me 1990 Cherokee had a remote control keyless door lock system from factory, but the seller no longer had the keychain remote controller, so I dont have it. The jeep does still have the overhead console with the little black domed receiver on it. Where does one get a replacement keychain controller or transmitter? I read that the code is on the circuit board in the console, how does one program that code into the key chain controller transmitter? Where do I buy a keychain controller for the jeep? Are there universal ones, or is it cherokee specific?

This is my first car ever with a remote lock, all new to me, most of my cars are 1970s 60s and even 50s I got one other modern car, but it is from the 80s. Im trying to get with the times easing into it with my 1990 Cherokee.

Advice on how to get a remote keychain controller for my jeep is appreciated! Thanks

The 1990's remote keyless is an infrared transmitter system and has very limited range. I doubt anybody bothers to make replacement remotes. I suggest you stop by the local car stereo shop or big box electronics store and buy a modern keyless entry system. Installation is usually included in the retail price.

Go with Tim's suggestion - the only source I ever found of IR remotes (Piland Electronics) appears to have gone out of business 3 years ago.

I don't know how he did it (he was protective of the info and rightly so), but Mr. Piland actually figured out how to translate the code numbers in the remotes/receivers into the right wiring scheme for the cipher chip those things used. Since he seems to no longer making them, I'd guess the knowledge has been lost now, which is a shame - he may have been the very last person to have the means to decode/match remotes to receivers. Nice guy to talk to/deal with too.

I have one of his single-button remotes, matched to the receiver from my '92. It was about 8-10 years old and still working about 8 years ago to switch to a 97+ headliner, at which point I switched to a keyless module from a 1995 Concorde (LH) - a vast improvement over the IR system, even though I had to use the wiring diagrams to splice it in myself (not that bad a job, really).

What they said. I bought a cheap rf unit on ebay. The lock/unlock relays are under the passenger side kick panel. The wires from the ir unit comes down the A pillar to the relays. Simply splice the wires into the relays. Besides power, I only connected the parking lights so they flash.

Back