• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGM Battery Replacement

Well where were you a couple of days ago?!? lol

All kidding aside, the deed is done. I'll hope for the best and update the thread moving forward.

bought the bosch AGM as well. 4 year full replacement makes me feel a little better.

AGM batteries do require some special tending but I have never had one last less than 7yrs, and in AZ that's a miracle!

AGM batteries do require some special tending but I have never had one last less than 7yrs, and in AZ that's a miracle!

I'd be happy with that!

searched for AGM chargers and didn't find much. What's different about maintaining an AGM?

See Ghost's link above it covers most everything!

My last 2 Yellow Top Optima Battery's lasted a combined 3.5 years. Replaced the 1st one after ~ 2 yrs under warranty and the last one lasted ~ 16 months. No more replacement warranty under the 3 years. Bought a Platinum AGM... so hopefully it's not made by the same snake-oil-company who makes Optima. :/

~ 16 years back I had a Red Top Optima that spent time in my '96 Ford Bronco powering up my 351 and then swapped over into a '97 Mustang Cobra for ~ 6 years before I sold it and going strong. Obviously they are NOT the same quality they used to be.

Forget to disconnect the cables when you know you have a parasitic drain you haven't fixed yet... Multiple times.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

LOL. You too, huh?

Currently I run a Diehard Platinum (Odyssey)

Optima's quality took a nosedive years ago. Wont own another one. On my 97 I put in a sealed deep cycle from Sears and was very happy with it. It had extra terminals as well which was nice for my extra accessories.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Turns out I'm in the battery market as of today. Leaning toward the Duracell agm.

I'm new to agm batteries, how do these compare to a gel cel battery in your opinions.

Nm, went agm Duracell for a try. Been through to many interstate to go back.

Last edited:
Have had good results with 2 interstate I use for the boat. sit for 6 months at a time and work hard for 6 months.

The Bosch AGM was to dead to bring back to life. Also forgot to disconnect and parked it for 5 months. I must have a serious parasitic draw as well and it read 5 volts. charged is several times with the charger shutting down saying "replace batt" every time. took back to pep boys, they replaced with Champion AGM as they didn't have a group 34 bosch.

also bought a switch to mount under hood to completely disconnect battery until I get the draw figured out.

also bought a switch to mount under hood to completely disconnect battery until I get the draw figured out.[/QUOTE]
If you have a write up of this please link it.

Back