• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High mileage engine replacement?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I want a Jeep Cherokee XJ for my birthday present (well my b-day was May 16th...but the plan is to get me a car) for my 17th birthday and I want to lift it and wheel it, as well as commute. My only thing is the budget would be in the grand or less range, which means high miles for something with decent options (dana 44 rear, power everything, ect) so what happens if I need to/want to replace an engine? How much would it run me to replace an engine? What about trannys?

I'm just trying to get some ballparks, but any help is appreciated.

P.S. I'm new here, so sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

No problem man. Not sure how WA works, but I wouldn't expect to get a D44 on a stock rig unless you want an '87. I'd go for a 91-95 4.0, either tranny is great (AX-15 5-spd or AW4 auto), and get one without ABS with an 8.25 rear end. Even with the 27-spline shafts, the 8.25 is a great axle.

Be ready for some kinda rust I'd assume. Try to find one that someone sprayed with undercoating at some point. Poke around the floors and the rockers right in front of the rear wheel. Check right above the catalytic converter too as thats a common spot for rust to appear.

As far as replacement engines, check the airbox for blowby. Meaning look for oil spilling back onto the airfilter. This can be caused by the CCV lines coming from the valve cover, or can be the sign of worn piston rings. If it's running good with no signs of blowby, don't worry about mileage. I have 166k on mine with no blowby and she runs real strong.

Wheel it stock first, or just go for a small 3" lift that replaces the springs/shocks so at least you have new suspension. This way you won't run into too many issues (steering, SYE, trac bar, etc).

And do a LOT of research on this forum...

i would have to agree, mine has 260k kms(about 170k miles) on it and its running real stong, not a leak on it or in it. paid $900 for it, sunk another $600 or so on major tune-up, budget 3" lift, new u-joints, and various other things and i couldnt be happier.

my buddy has an 88 with almost 350k kms(220k miles) on it and it still runs good, these 4.0l run forever........

hey man my 88 has almost 200000 miles on it and she dont leak a drop of anything. ig you come across one with a lot of miles dont worry the 4.0 is a beast. must have somthin to do with it havin 6qt oil system? lol

good luck dude

I've got an 89 Pioneer with 151k and could not be happier. Throwing a small lift and some MT's on her and calling it done....for now. lol

X2 on the 91-95. Don't concern yourself too much with mileage on the 4.0 unless there are obvious problems. Same with the transmissions. If you look and are patient you should be able to find a good Xj relatively inexpensively.

The floor pans rust and if you get one with a lot of electrical options you can expect a lot of electrical problems. Once you cut the doors off you will find that all those options become rather silly rather quickly. (you did say you were going to wheel it right;))

If you do find you ned to replace an engine cost will depend on a lot of things. Are you going to do it yourself or pay to have it done? Buy a new longblock or shortblock or stroker, or get a used engine? How good at finding deals are you? Are you willing to do a rebuild? Really depends on how much you want to spend.

Good transmissions can be had for a couple hundred bucks. Pretty easy to swap yourself, just a little heavy.

Hope you arent planning to commute very far, these things don't get the best fuel economy and with current gas prices... and wheeling your commuter can suck sometimes. I did it for a long time but when i got a different DD, I found I was willing to try more difficult obsticles and have less pucker factor.

Small lift kits can be pieced together pretty cheap, I mean like a couple bucks cheap if you do you homework, know the right people, and are patient. Or you can shell out a couple hundred for a 3" AAL bla bla whatever that you are going to replace in a year.

lets see what else... you don't need a D44. You think you do but you dont. There are a lot of other rear axle options available if you wish to upgrade from what your Jeep comes with. If you like to play in the mud, as you screen name implies, you dont necessarily need the strongest axles you can get.

I think thats about it.

Happy Birthday:party:

I've got a 89 225,000 miles not a leak in sight.
I did do a major transmission rebuild (which started as a minor (partly because it was starting to slip at 204,00 miles))
Which entailed a new clutch, new flywheel, new master clutch cylinder, new secondary clutch cylinder for about $900

After that I've had no issues with her - engines strong, drives like brand new.

(over the last year I've also replaced front disks and breaks, rear drums and shoes, P-break cable, radiator, oil pump, rear main seal, head gasket, all vacuum lines, plugs, wires, points, fuel filter, new 29" tires all for about another $1200

So all in all I paid $250 for the X drove her for a year and a half then put another $2100 and I'm very very confidant that it will go another 200,000 miles.

I'm shooting for 1/2 Million miles 500,000 :confused1

my 89 with 232k miles leaked(all have been fixed) from the rms, valve cover gasket, and oil filter adapter but runs very well and doesnt burn any oil.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm glad to hear some support. Here's a Jeep I just found on craigslist for $1200 (warn bumpers, looks like bushwacker flares, and 3" lift) I called the guy and he told me the odometer reads 300k but when he bought it he was told it was rebuilt.

0115130103120104002008052052dd4870195ae211a3007f42.jpg

0115080102120104112008052019b1fa32b133dbd5b300c0c5.jpg

I will throw this out...as far as doing work on the car, I'll do it all myself. My dad works on all of our cars (At the moment, 10, which are all lisenced and driven) so he knows a lot (started with him owning a Fiat...haha). Also, I'm not to worried about rust because we dont get a lot of that up here in Washington, but I do check. You guys think this jeep is worth $1200 if everything checks out? Seems like the add-ons are worth that much...

P.S. My commute is 15min. (since I'm 17, its close to home) and I work at a bike shop...so I have 2 bikes worth more than any car I plan to own soon, and plan to get another...so I have a lot to commute on.

That Jeep looks pretty decent, but you (and your dad) had better look very carefully at any modifications, to make sure they're done properly, and check carefully for signs of abuse or damage. If it's been well done, you could have a nice headstart, but if not, you could have a big headache. Considering how capable even a box stock XJ can be, you might be better off with an ex-grocery-getter that hasn't been messed with.

Yeah i was in the same position you were, i wanted an xj that was fairly inexpensive.. I got my 88 pioneer 5-speed in january with 199,000 miles for $1500, i got the 3" rough country lift for 300 bucks, and i got bfg mud terrain 31's on 15x8 TJ wheels for 250, so as of right now im good.. i couldnt be any happier with my jeep right now

Back