• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced broken cable hood release...got lucky!

Johnny V

NAXJA Forum User
Installed the new hood release cable in my '89 today.

Got lucky as the cable broke right at the handle and was able to cut open the cable sheath under the dash and pulled the cable to open the hood. Took about 5 minutes...it was too easy and thought I did something wrong. No need to pull the headlights and light housing...I'm happy!

Installed the new hood release cable in about ten minutes.

Now have a problem with the engine - idle is racing at 2300 rpms. Shoot me!

Last edited:
High idle on my 1990 (same Renix electronics as yours) has always been the TPS. Since the TPS also sends a signal to the Transmission Control Unit, you may also note some weirdness to the shifting, if you have the AW4 automatic transmission. I'm on my third TPS since new. The TPS is adjustable on non-HO years, and must be set to spec. Other possible causes include a vacuum leak (most commonly lines under the battery or cracked accumulator blimp in the front bumper), or malfunctioning IAC.

Thanks 4xBob!

The racing idle has been an on going problem for a number of years with my jeep, but seemed to settle down to only racing a half a dozen times this past year. I replaced the IAC a couple years ago but it didn't really help.

The TPS sits next to the IAC correct? I have the automatic trans and occasionally will shift funny around 35 mph, but for the most part shifting has been fine.

I do have instructions to test the voltage of the TPS so that will be my next project.

Thanks again!

A high idle on a Renix motor is normally a vacuum leak. Check around, when you were working on the rig you may have jarred something loose.

old_man said:
A high idle on a Renix motor is normally a vacuum leak. Check around, when you were working on the rig you may have jarred something loose.

I didn't jar a thing....the jeep sat for at least five days while I did my headliner upgrade...I didn't get under the hood at all. In those five days I started it once to keep the battery charged and the idle raced briefly for about five seconds and then settled down...I wasn't worried about that as it seems to always settle down.

After the headliner was finished I wanted to check the oil...thats when the hood release cable broke. After that I started it and got the racing idle at about 2600 rpm. Let it run for five minutes thinking it would settled down...but no luck.

Last year I installed all new "emission" tubes, that might have helped a little. I seem to get the racing idle when the seasons change if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
next time it races look at where the throttle "arm" is setting in relation to it's seat on the throttle body and try to move it by hand......my throttle cable was old and would get stuck intermittently until I put a new one in.

I know this might seem obvious,but I'm speaking from experience here.

Back