NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 20:56
NAXJA Forum User

Adjustable upper control arms made from stock JK arms?

I'm wondering if the JK front upper control arms are the same at the "C" and bushing ends as the arms for our XJs? New ones can be had pretty cheap and they appear to be made of tube or round stock. I'm thinking a person could cut them in half, trim to length, thread them (RH thread on one side, LH on the other), and put them back together with a couple tie rod adjuster sleeves as a low budget set of adjustables. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Tony
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:43
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Adjustable upper control arms made from stock JK arms?

You need to use a threaded insert bung in the tube and threaded and forged bushing end. Any threads you cut or tie rod adjuster type sleeve you use will not be strong enough to be considered safe. In addition, I would want to use thicker tubing than a JK has, if I was building some control arms.

If you are going to build your own control arms, use good stuff and do it right.

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Syne...ter-p-349.html

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Forg...nts-p-388.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Adjustable upper control arms made from stock JK arms?

Looking at the stamped sheet metal the stock XJ uppers are made from (and then the rust on top of that), I don't see how a set of JK arms threaded and put back together with tie rod sleeves could be any weaker. Hmmm... If they are tube and not solid round stock, maybe I could thread them internally and use some hardened threaded rod on the inside with jam nuts instead of sleeves on the outside.

I still need to find out if the ends on the JK arms are compatible though. I might just have to order one but I thought for sure somebody around here would know.

Thanks,
Tony